Pomegranate & WGJ WOW

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Started this off at 9 p.m last night and it is bubbling every second already.

2 litre Pomegranate juice.

1 litre WGJ.

700g Sugar.

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of strong black tea.

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super yeast)

1 tsp Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerene.

If you decide to dissolve the sugar in hot water (as the WOW guide suggests) bear in mind you will already have 3 litre of juice in the DJ, as you only want to fill the DJ to the shoulder (before topping up later) be careful how much water you boil the sugar in.

Starting Gravity = 1090

I will update the thread as it progresses.

I decided to try after reading this post by XDAVER - "cherry and wgj turns out quite nice but by far the best, and bear in mind I give people this when they are unsure about homebrew wine 1ltr wgj and 2 ltr pommegranate etc "

If it tastes as nice as it smells in the DJ its going to be excellent. :thumb:

me too, I'm doing the cherry and WGJ atm though :L I can't collect the bottles fast enough to keep up with all that I'm brewing, esp. considering you need corked ones not screw tops

caitlintilt said:
me too, I'm doing the cherry and WGJ atm though :L I can't collect the bottles fast enough to keep up with all that I'm brewing, esp. considering you need corked ones not screw tops

Why do you need corked bottles.

caitlintilt said:

Nearly all the wine bottles I use are srcew tops - if friends are saving them for you, get them to keep the lids too, they can be reused a few times. Wine bottles that take corks can usually be capped with crown caps, if you don't have a corking tool.

I read somewhere that if you're using a hand corking machine where you have to hammer in the corks sometimes the tops of the screw top bottles aren't strong enough, I have corked a screw top bottle before successfully, but I just have visions of it smashing and there would be bits of glass everywhere :O so I tend to collect corked ones

Wine bottles are increasingly being made of thinner glass, to reduce transport costs & pollution, however there's a limit to how thin the glass on a cork-stopper bottle can be. This means screw-top bottles can weigh as much as 200g less than corked ones. This is why screw-top bottles are popular with wine producers: for every thousand bottles of wine they save a fifth of a tonne in weight.

The down-side is that the thinner glass makes the bottles less suitable for use with corks. In addition to being too weak to cope with many corkscrews, the outside of the neck has to fit the same screwtop fitting machines that thicker-glass bottles do, and the thinner glass means the mouth is proportionally wider than it would be in an older screwtop bottle, so that corks don't fit as tightly. This isn't an issue if the wine won't be in the bottle for long, in which case you'd want to use a stopper rather than a cork, but it is a problem for things like elderberry wine, heather mead or sloe wine, which need to age for a long time and so ought to have a cork (and ideally a wax seal too).

Latest posts

Back