My Hopefully Light, Fruity (Cherry & Blackberry) Wine Recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beanhead

Reaction score
OK, so after multitudes of ciders and attempting a sparkling strawberry wine last year, I thought I'd finally go for it with a light, fruity red or rose.

Here's what I did;

100g Cherry
100g Blackberry
100g Brown Sugar
Brewing Sugar (I didn't measure how much but I used enough to top up to hopefully an ABV of 12~12.5%)
A Few ml's of Welches 100% Pure Grape Juice (the fresh refridgerated one)
4 Ltrs Tesco White Grape Juice
1 Lemon's Juice
1 Strong Tea (small mug with two teabags)
1 Tsp Pectolase
1 Tsp Yeast Nutrient
1 Tsp Yeast
2 Tsp of Sugar for Yeast Starter

iyhshu.jpg

1. Firstly I seeded and sliced the cherries in a metal bowl and added the blackberries. I then soaked in the brown sugar, lemon juice and topped up with a bit of the Welches Grape Juice. I then mushed slightly with a potato masher and proceeded to heat to simmering for 30 mins. I then left it to cool slightly, mashed again and sieved. Here's what the mush looked like prior to sieving;

11taeko.jpg

2. I then added the fruit juice, grape juice, pectolase and tea to the DJ and checked the hydrometer reading; it was just shy of 10% so I topped up with brewing sugar to get me to a hydrometer reading of 1095 or thereabouts.

3. Made the yeast starter with tepid water, 2 tsps of sugar, yeast nutrient and yeast. I then added to the DJ and sealed with airlock.

4. Here's what I got;

2urbiwp.jpg

It was a bit more red than I expected, but it smells and looks blinding! Can't wait for it ferment out and its gone off like a rocket.

Cheers dude, I used to be a real stickler for recipes and now I just experiment with what I can get a hold of, makes brews so much more interesting.

Hope this turns out anywhere as nice as it smells.

well if it does turn out to be a winner you have the recipe posted here forever

certainly looks like it will be an interesting mix

I was lucky and learned not to follow recipe already
this quote i received in an email has changed my view of country wine recipes forever

Andy Hamilton said:
people have made fruit wines with varing amounts of fruits for years its part of the fun not to worry too much about exact measures
I would love to try a pineapple and banana wine using fresh fruits
very high up on my to-do list

but before i start mixing i am trying each fruit and veg by themselves so I have some ideas to work from

Make one of these i dont think it will be stopping any time soon, i always use a smaller version on my Bucket FV and DJ's if i am making something i think might get a bit volatile.

I cut the straight part off an old airlock and it fits the syphon tube perfectly, this will save you having to remove the airlock several times to clean it.

This is not mine but its similar.

DPP_0086-1.jpg

Back