Chocolate Nibs? Chocolate stout options

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunken Horse

Still a Newb
Reaction score
Anyone ever used chocolate nibs in their brew? Would you recommend it? How did it go?

I keep putting off doing a chocolate stout (despite Young's chocolate stout probably being may favourite beer I ever bought) because every method of adding chocolate flavour I read about I then I read something that says the results are unsatisfactory.

As a result I have a collection of ingredients ready to do the job.

85% Cocoa chocolate bar (read that the small amount of fat still ruins head retention and can also make the beer go rancid very quickly)
High quality Cocoa powder (read that it feel powdery (although others say it doesnt)
Chocolate extract (read its hard to balance the right amount out and can taste like an added flavour rather than a flavour of the brew)

I've now read of using chocolate nibs thought the results were very vague to say the least, and a google search brings up people using it but no follow up on flavour or any issues encountered.

I've decided my next brew will definately be the chocolate stout.

So far I'm settled on using
Coopers stout kit
200g Lactose
150g (steeped) chocolate malt
500g of dark liquid malt extract
500g of Molasses

Now which of the above options to add the chocolate flavour?

From Young's site:
Pale Ale and Crystal malt, Chocolate Malt, a special blend of sugars, Fuggle and Golding hops, real dark chocolate and chocolate essence are combined to deliver a stout of with real credentials.

The sugars probably include lactose, to give it a sweet, slightly milky flavour. It looks like you could use chocolate and essence, but you will need to experiment to get the flavour right. Essence probably needs to go in after the main fermentation has finished, or the volume of CO2 leaving the wort will probably take all the aroma with it.

I'm sure others here have done chocolate stouts.

Back