Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Brewdays! > Absolute beginner here

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:25 AM   #1
pelipar

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Absolute beginner here

Hello Everybody,

My name is Rich, but people cal me pelipar or pel for short (long story). I've seen a few of your posts and replies and you all seem like a nice bunch, so I'm going to ask you for some friendly advice and guidance.

I'm going to a friend's 30th in October and it's a home brew event (great idea). However, I've not done anything like this before and didn't know where to start.
I've ended up getting a brew kit from Wilkinson's as money's a bit tight at the mo; which included a big bucket(!), a plastic cask, a plastic spoon and a siphon tube. Looking at all of your posts about gravity and the like, this seems a bit basic. Either way, I have a wilkinsons golden ale brew on the go and it seems to be bubbling away so far.

The problem is, i really haven't got much of a clue as to what i'm doing. The instructions weren't that clear. I'm the type of person that needs details!

Anyway, it'll be nice to meet you and hopefully you chaps (and ladies?) can impart some of your wisdom, tips, tricks, and knowledge onto me, so I don't screw up the sacred drink!

Cheers

Pel

Old 04-09-2014, 07:33 AM   #2
Chippy_Tea
THBF_ADMIN.png

Liked 3723 Times on 2943 Posts
Likes Given: 4492

Welcome to the forum Pelipar.
Forum Member Map - if you would like to be added please visit this thread - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/sh...ad.php?t=67013

Old 05-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
cheshirehomebrew

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 117

If you have made it and its bubbling away you have already cracked it, for now dont bother with the gravity readings, if it tastes nice then job done.

I take all my gravity readings and note them down, to date I havent actually worked out what they are

Old 06-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #4
pelipar

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the welcome guys.
It's just stopping bubbling at the moment. I think it might be time to transfer it to my cask. I'll give it a little taste once it's in there. It's looking good so far!
Here's hoping we continue to get it right!
Cheshirehomebrew, your post has made me feel a lot better about not knowing about the gravity reading. haha.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:01 PM   #5
Smileyr8
Impressive Member

Liked 130 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelipar View Post
It's just stopping bubbling at the moment. I think it might be time to transfer it to my cask.
Most people usually leave it in the primary for 14 days ish. I am not sure when you put it on but it may be worth leaving it to somewhere around that.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:21 PM   #6
pelipar

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Advice taken on board Smileyr8. I put on on Monday and was following the 4-6 day guidance on the box. I'll leave it on for another week if you recommend.
It needs to be ready by 6th October, and looking at all the posts I may have left it a bit late...

Old 06-09-2014, 01:30 PM   #7
Smileyr8
Impressive Member

Quote:
Advice taken on board Smileyr8. I put on on Monday and was following the 4-6 day guidance on the box. I'll leave it on for another week if you recommend.
It needs to be ready by 6th October, and looking at all the posts I may have left it a bit late...
Did you use any additions, malt or extra sugar (these usually lengthen the maturation period), I made one of these just recently and added 500g of dextrose (brewing sugar), it was a perfectly acceptable pint from 2 weeks however its improving with additional time.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:04 PM   #8
pelipar

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No, it was a basic kit from Wilkinson's. Just the two tins and a packet of yeast. It said no need for malt or sugar.
It does say i should add some sugar when transferring it from the primary. Is this basic sugar, or something special?

Also, love the avatar

Old 06-09-2014, 03:56 PM   #9
Smileyr8
Impressive Member

Quote:
No, it was a basic kit from Wilkinson's. Just the two tins and a packet of yeast. It said no need for malt or sugar.
It does say i should add some sugar when transferring it from the primary. Is this basic sugar, or something special?

Also, love the avatar
You can just granulated sugar, nothing special is required.

By the avatar do you mean Fin & Jake? They are my sons favourites.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:13 PM   #10
stout les

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Hello & welcome Pel, something you should definately consider buying for your barrel if you haven't already done so is an S-30 valve cap & the co2 hambleton bard bottle, to keep your keg charged with co2 as it does loose it as it reduces in volume.

Tags