Lid on tight?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil007

Reaction score
Hi All

Ive just made up a Scammonden Dark kit. Ive left the fermentation bucket lid on - but not tightly just loose. Ive also taped up the hole in the lid with sellatape. Is this OK or should I be putting it on real tight. Last brew was ruined by an infection of some sort
Cheers
Neil

clean and sanitise extremely welll if there was an infection, lid wise I would put the lid on properly and put an air lock in the hole

I use wine fermenters now, they've got a screw cap with an hole for an airlock, never had any problems with this type....cost around £14.00 at Hop & GrapeCLICKY, you can probably get them cheaper.
FIV20123861.JPG

BarnsleyBrewer said:
I use wine fermenters now, they've got a screw cap with an hole for an airlock, never had any problems with this type....cost around £14.00 at Hop & GrapeCLICKY, you can probably get them cheaper.
FIV20123861.JPG

Ive just started to use these, after picking up a couple of freecycle.

I put cling film over the top of the fermenter so that I can see what's going on - secured with elastic.

Guessing, I would say that the infection was not due to something dropping into it, more likely something wasn't sterile

I am new to this and only on my second brew, but my understanding is that you should let the FV breath. i.e. no tight lid. The lid should be placed on lightly or no lid at all if there is no chance of anything falling into it.

Latest posts

Back