Best Red X Malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

stevej

Has anyone tried best red x malt, got some delivered today from the home brew company

Stop bumping my thread please Mr MyQul, im guessing this base grain is not popular? Mr Clibit any ideas on a recipe ;-)

I tried it in what I called a biere de gard (which it probably wasn't) but turned out the right colour. I used 1 kg Heidelberg (kolsch) 500 g red x and 50 g roasted barley in a 4.5 l batch. Came out a lovely colour and very tasty.

Never heard of Best red X. HBC site says..

Perfectly suited for amber beer, wheat beer, Alt, ale and dark beer.
Usage Rate
Up to 100 % of the grain bill (100 % recommended for red-tinted beers).

So it's a base malt that's been malted to produce a red colour. I would try a pale recipe, maybe just the red X plus hops, and make a 5 litre batch to try it out. Or a red ale, brown ale or porter. USE red X in place of some or all of the Maris Otter. See what difference it makes.

As ive used this on a few brews thought id add a bit of a comment !
If you want a nice red ale without adding other different grains this is the one to use ends up a lovely ruby red colour :thumb:

My usual grain supplier recommends doing a stepped mash with this to get a good red colour and a nice fermentable wort. Can't remember the exact numbers unfortunately.

Latest posts

Back