Gypsum

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bloody hell but they are fast. Emailed them around 10am got this there now.

Based on 2014 results, the ZN0303 Dunore Point Ballymena supply zone covering
the above area had the following average results:
Magnesium level of: 6.29 mg/l
Permanent Calcium level of: 63.05 mg/l
Temporary (CaCO3) Calcium level of: 157mg/l
Furthermore, please also find the attached Annex A which details the various other
mineral parameters and pH.

Annex A is the pdf i linked to above.

Bloody hell but they are fast. Emailed them around 10am got this there now.

Based on 2014 results, the ZN0303 Dunore Point Ballymena supply zone covering
the above area had the following average results:
Magnesium level of: 6.29 mg/l
Permanent Calcium level of: 63.05 mg/l
Temporary (CaCO3) Calcium level of: 157mg/l
Furthermore, please also find the attached Annex A which details the various other
mineral parameters and pH.

Annex A is the pdf i linked to above.

Told you they were good mate - absolutely top notch service. Well done NI Water!

I have to put up with 2013 results (Wales). So relatively speaking, "top notch" was reasonable.

I contacted NI water around 10 years ago about the purity of my water. I was thinking of buying a DI (De Ionised) or RO (Reverse Osmosis) filter and wanted to know the PPM of my tap water. RO is a lot more expensive and better suited for areas that have a lot of dissolved solids in it. It took them 4 weeks to get back to me, gave me an answer that was of no use to me and were basically useless.

How times have changed.

and if you ask thames water for the magnesium, calcium and temp hardness/alkalinity figures which they don;t publish, they just come back and say 'not available' ....

Just double checked Thames water site for my area. When you put your post code in a page comes up with a couple of pdf's with a detailed breakdown but also on that page under the pdf's it says:

Hardness

The water supplied in the PECKHAM zone is HARD water.
Calcium carbonate(CaCO3): 255 ppm

No calcium or magnesium though as I thought and I haven't bothered to email them directly. The figure above is incorrect btw, at my last testing of my water with my salifert kit, it was 188ppm

Just double checked Thames water site for my area. When you put your post code in a page comes up with a couple of pdf's with a detailed breakdown but also on that page under the pdf's it says:

Hardness

The water supplied in the PECKHAM zone is HARD water.
Calcium carbonate(CaCO3): 255 ppm

No calcium or magnesium though as I thought and I haven't bothered to email them directly. The figure above is incorrect btw, at my last testing of my water with my salifert kit, it was 188ppm

Thats because their hardness figure is total hardness and not temporary hardness/reserve alkalinity. They quote my area's total hardness at 317ppm but salifert alkalinity test comes out at 268ppm. When Murphys tested it it was 230ppm.

Thats because their hardness figure is total hardness and not temporary hardness/reserve alkalinity. They quote my area's total hardness at 317ppm but salifert alkalinity test comes out at 268ppm. When Murphys tested it it was 230ppm.

Gawd this whole water treatment is so confusing :doh: At least tell me I'm doing this bit right: I measure my alkalinity with my salifert test kit and input the figure into this bit in he old forum water calc:

"If you have not entered a value for (CO3) or a value for Alkalinity "as HCO3", then either enter the value from your water report for Alkalinity "as CaCO3" or enter the value you have measured for Alkalinity "as CaCO3" using the sample kit. Alkalinity as CaCO3: mg/l or ppm Enter value for Alkalinity from water report or sample kit, e.g. 11.9 mg/l"

Enter my water volumes then add as much CRS solution to my water as the calculator tells me to

yes...so the salifert kit will give you a certain number for alkalinity in meq/l based on how much reagent you used for the titration (or rather the reading on the syringe which to me is counterintuitive but they've set their table up this way so a 0 reading would mean you've put 1ml in which would read across to 5.59 meq/l) then multiply it by 50 to express 'as CaCO3' and put that into the water calculator. So for me I use almost a ml of regent so the syringe reads 0.04...equivalent to 5.36 meq/l *50 = alkalinity of 268ppm as CaCo3. I put that in the calculator in the alakinity as CaCo3 ...the 11.9mg/l one you mention, put the water volume then press the button.

so if I put your measured alkalinity of 188ppm as Ca Co3 (which sounds about right base do your hardness figure) then for 35ltr water you should put in 31.2mls CRS. That also sounds about right since when Murphys measured my alkalinity at 229 ppm a sCaCO3, they told me to add 36.4ml CRS for 35ltrs liquor. Note those figures for pale ales and bitters.... add less for porters and stouts.

I'm on a role here so I apologise....your 188ppm alkalinity as Ca CO3 equates to 3.76meq/l.... based on my salifert table it equates to a syringe reading of 0.32 when the colour of the reagent changes. Does that sound about right?

I'm on a role here so I apologise....your 188ppm alkalinity as Ca CO3 equates to 3.76meq/l.... based on my salifert table it equates to a syringe reading of 0.32 when the colour of the reagent changes. Does that sound about right?

Isn't all this just over-complication? Especially if we are basing it on 2014 average data, and on a water calculator that differs from other water calculators etc?

Yes 0.32sounds about right. Tbh how to do the salifert kit test then convert the figures for the old water calc is just about the only thing I actually know how to do for water treatment. All the rest of the salts/ions etc are too confusing for me.

Fortunatley I mostly make dark beer so I don't need to do anything to the water. It's on the odd occasion I make a bitter this all comes up

Isn't all this just over-complication? Especially if we are basing it on 2014 average data, and on a water calculator that differs from other water calculators etc?

Not if like me you need to reduce the bicarbonates to make pale ales. Afaik our old water calc gives the right figures for the addition of CRS. As for the rest of the salts I don't know. I'm hoping to just get away with only needing to reduce bicarbonates

Back