Hops at 80

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRedDarren

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi gang,

I've been doing my homework on hop additions since my disappointing Sierra Nevada PA effort (which, incidentally - the hop aroma reappeared?! Thanks Clibit, you did say it might!) and it seems that very late additions are the way to go for aroma and flavour.
Apparently flavour contributions have to have at least 2 minutes in the boil but with aroma additions, obviously, a lot later will do - dryhopping etc.

What is meant by whirlpool additions?

What I'm going to try is an 80* addition. I'll let it cool naturally down to 80 after a flameout addition then hold at 80 for 30 minutes for my last addition, does that sound good?

Yes, I'm doing that a lot now. It's similar to a whirlpool addition, in which the wort is stirred in order to collect the trub in the centre of the base of the kettle. This probably assists hop oil removal. So you could stir too. This will cool the wort quicker though, which might also affect aroma extraction!

I won't brew a hop-forward pale without an 80deg addition now. I leave it for 20 minutes before continuing to cool.

Dave

Back