Not much action from WLP001

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreweBrewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
Pitched a healthy (good krausen) 700ml starter into my 1.046 OG Mosaic pale yesterday afternoon. Got home from work this morning expecting to find a nice dome to the lid of the FV, but nothing. I cracked the lid and there was just a few lumpy groups of yeast on the top. The temperature probably dropped to around 17deg in the room overnight. I gave it another good aerate and moved the FV into the living room in the hope that it'll kick off.

This lag is worse than US-05! I was expecting more, seeing as my WLP002 went of in about four hours...

Dave

Gotcha thanks. I thought like US-05 it'd have temperature range of around 15-22deg.

Sorry dude, I should have been a bit clearer. It's the fluctuating temperature that this strain doesn't like.
White Labs site says optimum temp is 20-23 for this strain, although I've fermented it at 18. I'd definitely think 17 was a bit low.

That's great, thanks mate. It's at 20.5deg at the minute. I've given it another good stir. It's my first time using this stain.

Dave

It should give you a furious fermentation at that temp, I did it at 20* and it got 1.048 down to 1.009 in five days. Nice clean and balanced finish.

Well this did end up furious. So much in fact that it bubbled out of the FV. I'm worried now that I may have lost some of that Mosaic aroma and flavour. I took a gravity reading and took a sniff of it before dry-hopping and there much of a tropical whiff to it. It's been fermenting at around 18c - 21c.

Dave

Latest posts

Back