Omega HotHead Ale OYL-057 Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RZH

Reaction score
I regularly lurk around r/homebrewing on Reddit and read about this today.

Descended from an old Norwegian strain, it supposedly offers:
"consistent fermentation across an astoundingly wide temperature range 62F-98F (16C-36C) with little difference in flavour profile across the whole range." So absolutely no temperature control required!

Here's a chap sharing his experience using it: Click!!

And from the website: Click!!

Look like it's only available Stateside at the moment but it would be fascinating to have a go and see if the claims are true!

I regularly lurk around r/homebrewing on Reddit and read about this today.

Descended from an old Norwegian strain, it supposedly offers:
"consistent fermentation across an astoundingly wide temperature range 62F-98F (16C-36C) with little difference in flavour profile across the whole range." So absolutely no temperature control required!

Here's a chap sharing his experience using it: Click!!

And from the website: Click!!

Look like it's only available Stateside at the moment but it would be fascinating to have a go and see if the claims are true!

Be interesting to see if the "little difference in flavour profile across the whole range" is true. Didn't like the sound of "plastic" tasting though. I used Mauribrew 514 English Ale yeast which has a temp range of up to 32C over the summer to brew. That definatley kicks out some fruity esters when brewed warm (I think I brewed at most at about 29C) but absolutely no fusils of diacetyl

Interesting. Very wide temp range which would be useful for uncontrolled temp summer brewing or all year round in fact. Not many used it yet, hopefully we see some more reviews soon.

Myself I intend to use WLP644 Saccharomyces "bruxellensis" Trois through the summer, temp range 70-85°F (21-30°C). I used it before through a hot summer a few years back with good results. When I used it they originally misidentified it as a brett yeast but recently found it was Saccharomyces . Think there is a few commercial breweries who have been making "Brett" with it that now have to change their product as it in no longer "Brett". Anyway its a good yeast that produces a lot of fruity flavour

Busy day here at work. I stumbled across another thread about hothead. Seems there is a few people giving it a go. Sounds like it is very fruity and I've not seen anyone else complain of plastic taste.

Wondering if this would survive the journey from the US.

Back