Radical Brewing - Randy Mosher

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HisDudeness

Reaction score
Great book and a good read whether you are brewing or not. Any author who speculates that beer is responsible for the birth of civilisation gets my vote!

The book discusses history, brewing process, ingredients, recipe development, tasting and a wide range of recipes again with more background and history. Recipes and techniques are AG and extract focused. There are quite a few errors in some of the recipes so I would recommend double checking these with a recipe calculator. There are a lot of unusual and historical styles included and I think the book is best for those wanting to develop new recipes and try out new styles.

"Brew as if beer is a gift from a benevolent universe. Because it is."

ISBN-13 978-0937381830

Thanks for sharing this - last one I read was from the same author, "Mastering Homebrew" in the same style, also including recipes. Quite a dense reading, I liked it..

My current read and it is fascinating. Styles I'd never heard of and the history is interesting.

The range of brewing methods is a lot wider than you could imagine for example one method uses a triple decoctation mash followed by a long boil and another (ready for this) the method is pour hot water over stale bread, that's it.

Good read.

I agree with the previous comments, it's a great book to just sit and read bits of now and again for some inspiration. The right mix of history, techniques and recipes to be interesting and readable but still providing a good starting point brew (if you watch out for the errors).

Latest posts

Back