What are the advantages of...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're the first person I've heard say that. Most of what I have read is that people have been quite impressed with them. I have certainly been impressed and have just ordered another couple to keep in the fridge.

Me too because I have always been a keen supporter of their range had excellent results in the past with M44 , M20, M27 .

I tried the new Trappist's and Abbey yeast they finished way high and so did a batch of M44 I bought purchased and did around the same time. Wether or not there were some poor batches or poorly stored ( now there's a thought my LBbS has just moved) , I cant say. Always keep yeast in the fridge, atm I have a 3711 & 1332 Wyeast slurry going to work this weekend plus , a good old Danestar Notty & Belle Saison and a couple of packs of m44.

Think I might pitch the m44 into a short 10ltr brew and see what I come up with, its either that or chuck it in he boil as a nutrient :smile:

Oldish thread this but I was going to start a new one and came across this so wondering what peoples thoughts are?

I've mainly used dried yeast so far and like them for their convenience and price and I've been pleased with the results but at the back of mind and from some of the books I have read suggest liquid yeasts are superior, so I was wondering if this is partly snobbery or maybe outdated information as I understand dried yeasts have improved in recent years.

Wanting to improve my knowledge and also realizing that my aims are to produce the best beer i can rather than the cheapest i'm starting to experiment with liquid yeasts, my current thoughts are i buy a liquid yeast do a series of beers with it then switch to another liquid yeast, maybe I will come up with a favorite or go back to dried yeasts or mix and match depending on what I'm brewing.
Currently using wy1968 because 1) it comes up regularly as a good reusable house yeast suitable for a good range of beers, 2) it's a London ale yeast and I have a very similar water profile to London and wanted to try some typical London beers. 3) I was born in 1968 so the number has significance to me.
I've got a series of beers i want to make using this including all the Fullers clones from the Graham Wheeler book. Then there are a few Belgium beers I'd like to try using wy3787, maybe an Irish ale yeast after that.
So liquid versus dried?, snobbery, outdated information or a superior product or is it just that the range is better and you can get just as good a result with dried if brewing the right beer?

The beers I've brewed with dry yeast have been fine but the variety of liquid yeast is what draws me to them. Also for Belgian beers there's isn't much choice of dried yeast and opinions are very mixed of the few there are.

Convenience makes me use dry yeasts. I have several strains in the fridge, which makes it easier to plan my brewdays, without having to order liquid yeasts at short notice.

Of course I cannot compare the quality of them with the usage of liquid yeasts. However, my beers are always well received.

I have currently a liquid yeast in store, but it's Westmalle that I propagated myself. Next weekend is tasting of the brew that I made with it.

I use MJ and Fermentis.

Latest posts

Back