What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I brewed Dogma from DIYDog, and also put on a Dunkel as a Coopers European Lager partial mash. The long wait begins.

Brewed a peanut butter porter from the Brooklyn brew shop book, smells amazing! Looking forward to trying it!

Started a Muntons Midas Touch Gold Ale. :thumb:

Absolutely amazed that the OG was 1.054 which with a FG of 1.010 will give an ABV of about 6% after carbonation!

I try not to brew much above 3.5% so if it does ferment down to the 1.010 level or below it will go in the King Keg to be drunk as a "one before dinner" beer. :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds so good I've just bought the book to get the recipe! :drunk:

I just used meridian smooth peanut butter from Tesco, £2 I think, it says to remove the oil from the top and use the chunky stuff at the bottom. The recipe says to use natural stuff which I think this is, half an hour into the boil. The trial jar was very nice, a strong initial peanut taste. Had an og of 1074.

I just used meridian smooth peanut butter from Tesco, £2 I think, it says to remove the oil from the top and use the chunky stuff at the bottom. The recipe says to use natural stuff which I think this is, half an hour into the boil. The trial jar was very nice, a strong initial peanut taste. Had an og of 1074.

Did the rest of the oil stayed on the top then you skimmed it?

Did a small batch of extract witbier yesterday, just as a trial brew of the stuff and bottled up my blackberry stout afterwards:thumb:

Did a small batch of extract witbier yesterday, just as a trial brew of the stuff and bottled up my blackberry stout afterwards:thumb:
Blackberry stout sounds cool.
Just done today 19L of Sierra Nevada courtesy of GashSlug in Oz

Today is AG (BIAB) No 4, and it's a Brewday of firsts.

First time I've done an evening brew. My wife is out tonight so I thought it was a good opportunity to get my latest brew on. Mash is just about finished, I heated the water when kids were having their tea and put the grains in when they came out the bath.

First time using the super shiny Ace boiler that I got for my birthday:
image.jpg

First time trying a recipe from the Greg Highes book - Anerican Wheat Beer.

First time trying out Geterbrewed's customs grain kit. It might cost a little more but certainly makes life easier. All the grain is measured and in a sealed bag - simply snip the corner of the bag and pour in.

And finally, most crucially, the first time in drinking home brew whilst making home brew. Obviously I'm looking after children so it's just 2 (maybe 3) bottles of my lower ABV brews. Currently finishing up the last 2 bottles of Cascade SMaSH:
image.jpg

EDIT - missed my OG quite badly (1.048 instead of 1.058, which gives me 61% efficiency which actually isn't too bad - I must remember to factor this in for future brews) but I had struggled to lift the grain bag so didn't manage to give it a good squeeze which might not have helped. Otherwise it was a very successful brew night. 4 and a half hours from boiler switch on to end of final tidy up.

Basically followed the recipe in Greg Hughes' book. I did a half sized version back in January using stove top kit and was impressed by how good it was, considering its simplicity and how few hops it uses.

I'm now on a 25kg sack of Maria Otter from the WHS, which seems to have a coarser crush. This made for a much less sticky mash in the Grainfather and hence a bit clearer wort at the end. I don't know about efficiency as I have long since stopped measuring the starting SG. Basically because I have read enough posts along the lines of "Boo-Hoo, I missed my numbers, so I carried on anyway..." to not see the point. I check the finishing gravities, though, for safety reasons. :whistle:

Today was a chocolate maple porter again from Brooklyn brew shop book, all went smoothly for a change, 4th biab attempt and first 1 with no incidents.

Latest posts

Back