Apple scratting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaquiss2005

Reaction score
Having just broken the wifes food processor pulping a load of apples, did hear one method of pulping was to place chopped up apples in a large bucket eg fermenting bucket and using something like a broom handle (not the brush end!) give them a good bashing. Anyone else heard / tried this? Not sure what effect this would have on actual juice yield

Throw your apples in a bucket and use one of these attached to an electric drill.
bd8311312f0372faaace2bc25e9c47fd.png

http://www.screwfix.com/p/power-paint-mixer/61617

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess it depends very much on:

a) How many apples you have to grind, and,

b) How serious you are about using your own apples to make cider.

If you take a look on YouTube you will find dozens of different ways to scrat and press apples.

The easiest one I've seen to scrat apples just uses a Sink Waste Disposal Unit ...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM81m5PxdqM[/ame]

... and a mate of mine knocked up an apple press similar to this one ...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_6jObrHhPQ[/ame]

... but using a welded metal frame and a hydraulic jack.

Enjoy! :thumb:

Sink waste disposal. That's a great idea.

I've seen methods of a circular piece of wood with screws screwed into it so that just the head of the screw pokes out. But not to far, as it jams. Run a spindle through it and enclose it in a chute. Attach to drill. Done. ;-)

But yes, I've smashed apples with a large stick in a bucket before. Still worked just fine.

Thanks all - think the paint mixer from Screwfix will be my next attempt. Good to know there always seems to be a cheap option with most of this

My twopenneth for what it's worth having nearly needing a surgical truss once or twice after Apple scratting.
Your crushed apples really do need to come out in an almost porridge like consistency with juice obvious in the catchment container.
If your pomis appears more like chips of apples your going to get a very poor juice extraction.
My hardest lesson, was not leaving the apples to go soft, even worse many I picked from trees instead of waiting for them to fall, resulting in astringent low alcohol cider.

I'd suggest using the most powerful garden waste shredder you can afford to buy - ideally with an internal combustion engine rather than an electric motor (the lower powered models of which may well burn out). I use a 14hp petrol engined shredder which produces excellent pomace with, generally, a high fruit/juice yield. However if you do this, don't forget to wash its interior scrupulously after use and then dry it using an electric fan heater. Otherwise the acidity of the apple juice will seriously damage the mild steel parts of the shredder.

Freeze your apples first, then when you thaw them you'll find they're soft and will pulp easily. I've still got all the apples from my trees in the freezer waiting for me to have a moment of inspiration...

I have a second hand whole fruit juicer which does the job of both scratter and press, but one apple at a time. However, to get the maximum yield, I put the foam, juice and ejected pulp through a small (5 litre) press and get about 75% extraction rate. After many gallons, the cutter is getting somewhat less efficient, but as it all goes through the press, the yield is the same.

With this method I get around 99% juice extraction, here I'm demonstrating with orange but this method works equally as well with apple and most other fruits. :lol:

Kudos to anyone who spends all the effort of extracting apple juice from scratch.

juice.JPG

The 'bash them with a stick' method was the first i tried. Worked well but time consuming and a bit of a workout if you have a lot of fruit to get through. I tried the paint stirrer method and ended up with a mess of the softer apples with the harder ones unbroken. Then I bought a pulpmaster, which was cheap but low volume and didn't do a great job. Again the pulp was too heterogeneous. I'm keeping an eye out for a cheap second hand sink waste disposal unit for next year's fruit.

A broom handle is probably a bit lightweight. A piece of 4x4" or 6x6" in a bucket is more like it. Damn hard work tho.

I am told (but have no experience) that if you've got enough room in the freezer half/quarter them, freeze 'em and then press them after they've thawed.

My personal weapon of choice is a garden shredder.

Latest posts

Back