Fermentation restarted after dry hopping?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amidared

Reaction score
I have two batches of IPA fermenting, both were brewed on the same day and are stored at the same temps, side by side, and both used the same yeast. After 10 days and levelled out gravity readings I decided to dry hop them with their respective hops, one Citra and one EKG. To my amazement and a little concern to boot, the Citra IPA has started to bubble away as though it was the first day of brewing.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening ? And really more to the point does anyone know the effects of such a restart? I havent a clue either way but really hope it doesn't turn out to be detrimental to the brew.

What was the FG when you added the hops and fermentation temp? Mine have done that before but came out fine. I imagine its the co2 in suspension coming out.

Both batches were standing at 1.010 for a couple of days (o.g. 1.062) ambient temperature was/is 18C. I've just been reading about what you suggested, namely the co2 but I have to read more or look on YT to really understand the meaning. Strange how with both batches being identical except for the hops. Could the hop type influence the co2?

I'm really trying to learn more about hop characteristics and I think this is pretty relevant to that if this is or could be the case, interesting to find out how various hop types work.

I read somewhere that hops also have diastatic qualities and so can promote further fermentation during dryhopping.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

There is allways a concern & is allways a subject of deep debate amongst homebrewing when dry hopping, that you may introduce unwanted bacteria from the hops infecting the brew.
Many people say that there is no problem as hops have disinfectant properties & that there is enough alcohol to kill off any wild yeast. I'm not sure as Iv not dry hopped very often.
i hope I'm wrong, but maybe someone will come along with another explanation
Only time will tell.
Good luck:thumb:

There is allways a concern & is allways a subject of deep debate amongst homebrewing when dry hopping, that you may introduce unwanted bacteria from the hops infecting the brew.
Many people say that there is no problem as hops have disinfectant properties & that there is enough alcohol to kill off any wild yeast. I'm not sure as Iv not dry hopped very often.
i hope I'm wrong, but maybe someone will come along with another explanation
Only time will tell.
Good luck:thumb:

Oh no, didn't really want to hear that, I hadn't considered the possibility of infection and I'm almost anal about sterilisation etc. That would worry me.

Yep. Diastase enzymes are found in most seeds to enable germination, so fair to assume hops would be no different.

Would that still apply to pellets as opposed to leaf hops?

Oh no, didn't really want to hear that, I hadn't considered the possibility of infection and I'm almost anal about sterilisation etc. That would worry me.

Sorry didn't mean to worry you. Just a point that has cropped up before loads of people dry hop with no problem.
Like the others have said there are other possibilities.

Don't know.

Can't remember the article I read, but a quick Google search turned this up.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...JcRp8cuCrW_igy7hQ&sig2=1-zHntjaOQUG_vK56YjggQ

And this thread.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=485691

Wow , brilliant, thanks for that its exactly what I'm looking for and I look forward to going through it . It just shows, I was worried I was asking a stupid question, I'm prone to that sort of thing.

I'm off for a pint and theres a head brewer who usually pops in so I'll pick his brains in the meantime.

Maybe it was just co2 which was suspended in the beer being released by some reaction to the hops (though why not both brews?).

I have often observed this when dry hopping but the beer has never had any negative points, just seems like hops sometimes makes it bubble.

I also get this effect when dry hopping - the more hops the greater the effect it seems.
Doesn't cause any problems though, that I've found. Just bottle/keg as normal after 4 or 5 days dry hopping.
:cheers:

Many people on here dry hop their beer.
So do commercial breweries.
Hops have been added to beer in their dry form for many years, traditionally into the cask in the UK.
Although not completely risk free, and since hops have an antiseptic quality (that's one of the reasons they were added to beer in the first place) you will be extremely unlikely to get the dreaded infection in your beer. If there was an appreciable risk folk wouldn't do it.
When you add hops to your brew for a dry hop, especially hop pellets which break up and disperse into small particles, you can sometimes disturb an equilibrium that is present in your brew so that CO2 comes out of solution, collects on the hop particles and eventually forms the bubbles that you see. You are very unlikely to restart a fermentation after a dry hop especially if the yeast has done its job and no extra fermentable sugars are added.

yep when I dry hop the FV I always get bubbles and im sure hops are anti bacterial.says so in the greg hughes book anyway and I have never had any problems with dry hopping

Back