My Cornelius Keg adventure

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My starsan goes cloudy within 6-12 hours of mixing using my tapwater but never had an infection - ph of 3 or under means its all good, my cloudy starsan solution has a ph of 2 and lasts ages before I mix a fresh batch up.

I use 8ml of starsan for a 5litre batch of solution = 1.6ml per litre.

Good luck with the cornie kegging - its next on my list of investments possibly (but don't tell the wife !)

My starsan goes cloudy within 6-12 hours of mixing using my tapwater but never had an infection - ph of 3 or under means its all good, my cloudy starsan solution has a ph of 2 and lasts ages before I mix a fresh batch up.

I use 8ml of starsan for a 5litre batch of solution = 1.6ml per litre.

Good luck with the cornie kegging - its next on my list of investments possibly (but don't tell the wife !)

Good to hear the above about starsan.

My wife is happy that I'm moving onto kegging as she always helps me with bottling. She does always help me drink my beer too!

I wish I could be of some help but WAY to trashed tonight to be of any use. Sorry. Liked the conversation though!

Big investment, but you won't regret it. (well...I don't think you will ). Soon you'll need more corny's of course, - to go inside the keezer you're planning - and a 'splitter' for your gas line - and a few more odds & sods, but hey...! What else is there in life? I tell SWMBO that I don't smoke, gamble or chase women, what else can I do to relieve the boredom? :whistle:

Which reminds me of the joke :-

Two old mates nattering and one says "I've never smoked, drank, or chased women and I celebrate my eightieth birthday tomorrow " His mate says "how?"

Only been in the keg 6 days after force carbonation and couldn't wait any longer to try it! Tastes pretty good and the carbonation is about right although it could take more. This going to be a great BBQ beer!
Only slight problem I have is that some of the dry hops were leaf so some have transferred to the keg. They settle to the bottom of the glass quickly so can avoid drinking too many of them!
Oh and by the way I have brought another 2 kegs and a 3 way John Guest splitter!!

IMG_2667.jpg

Kegs are the way to go. Recently I let them condition in one keg, then after a week or so, transfer to another keg. Gets the beer real clear.

Kegs are the way to go. Recently I let them condition in one keg, then after a week or so, transfer to another keg. Gets the beer real clear.
Kegs...definitely the way to go for me too. I'm embarrassed to say ( almost ) that I seem to have accumulated 7 cornies and a shed load of 5ltr mini kegs.....only one thing to do really.....get some more brews on :party:

is there any issues with 2nd hand kegs. i need a couple for my upcoming wedding and just wondering if I should buy new or are 2nd hand fine?

Also getting my hands on a chiller so I dont need to fridge the kegs.

Any experience passing the lines through a chiller

is there any issues with 2nd hand kegs. i need a couple for my upcoming wedding and just wondering if I should buy new or are 2nd hand fine?

Also getting my hands on a chiller so I dont need to fridge the kegs.

Any experience passing the lines through a chiller
Chiller as in lindr pygmy flash cooler or maxi cellar shelf cooler?

Ill find out later, not a pygmy, I have a friend who fits pumps and chillers in pubs and hes aquired a few, so I guess more of a cellar cooler.
Said its the size of a box of crisps

Ill find out later, not a pygmy, I have a friend who fits pumps and chillers in pubs and hes aquired a few, so I guess more of a cellar cooler.
Said its the size of a box of crisps
Noisy and prone to leaks if sitting somewhere near your living room,also takes far longer to chill your beer than the pygmy as it has to form an ice bed

Noisy and prone to leaks if sitting somewhere near your living room,also takes far longer to chill your beer than the pygmy as it has to form an ice bed

Im only really going to be using it for my wedding. So would have a few days to start chilling and form the ice bed. Just thought it may be easier than buying and transporting a fridge.

Would you recommend reconditioned kegs at all???

Im only really going to be using it for my wedding. So would have a few days to start chilling and form the ice bed. Just thought it may be easier than buying and transporting a fridge.

Would you recommend reconditioned kegs at all???
All my cornie kegs are re cons and had no issues with them but that's not to say you won't,Its all about the reputation of the supplier, first one I had from a lhbs not the cheapest for a re con, the other two from keg kingdom and are Italian makes and are fine

The 2 additional kegs I purchased were re-ferbs from the malt miller. They were supplied pressurised so it terms of seals no problem there.
I kegged for the second time last night and the one I used the black rubber around the top rubbed off on my hands a lot when wet which was a bit annoying but if it works fine I don't think i can complain?

The 2 additional kegs I purchased were re-ferbs from the malt miller. They were supplied pressurised so it terms of seals no problem there.
I kegged for the second time last night and the one I used the black rubber around the top rubbed off on my hands a lot when wet which was a bit annoying but if it works fine I don't think i can complain?
Yeah I get that with the black coming off the collar onto your hands and think this is strange

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coke-Co2-...612554?hash=item1a2b2e6d0a:g:TJMAAOSwcgNZCO65
here you go matey jump on this a bargain I have the same one and paid ��£80 for it on collection,they retail at �£160

So im now up to 7 cornies!! I have brought some bar taps and fancy getting a gas management board. The link above doesn't come up with an image now. Don't suppose you can point me in the direction of the same or something similar?

Seriously it does just get out of hand doesn’t.

I’ve found myself at this point and I’m in the process of ordering the taps to have a keezer in the brew shed.

View attachment IMG_4475.jpg

Nothing better than having 4 beers on tap. Plus a few conditioning [emoji1303]

View attachment 1

Sent from my iPad using TView attachment IMG_1486.jpgapatalk

Back