Martin's Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7.15 hlt on, bagging up grain. Happy days

IMG_20180102_073609.jpg

Ended up with 22litres at 1050 giving 71% efficiency.

Really easy to cool wort with groundwater at 3C.

In the end I used 500g light crystal, 4 kg MO, 500g biscuit.

QUESTION, can anyone spot my stupid mistake...it's there in the photos....

All was clean, cool and pitched by 11.30am

Love it..

Martin

IMG_20180102_115355.jpg

IMG_20180102_114020.jpg

IMG_20180102_095936.jpg

IMG_20180102_114331.jpg

If it's not too late, I fermented at 18 deg C. I think that cali common yeast was developed to work at ale temps to get around the lack of effective refrigeration in california at the time.

If it's not too late, I fermented at 18 deg C. I think that cali common yeast was developed to work at ale temps to get around the lack of effective refrigeration in california at the time.

Yeah, I'd read that about ale temperatures, and yet the recipe I was working from suggested 15 max. I think on reflection I will go for 17/18 as that is the guidance on the yeast.

Thanks

Martin

The cml Cali common yeast went off like a rocket, huge activity for 2-3 days, but now quieter. Will still give it 2 weeks, but possibly chill down after week one.

Cheers Martin

32 bottles @1008. Test jar really nice.

Now, what to do next. I've got lots of MO, and a kind local brewer is giving me some caramalt..

Cheers Martin

Attachments

• IMG_20180113_205103.jpg
    IMG_20180113_205103.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 104
Planning on trying out a couple of the GH single hop pale ale recipes.

I've recently been given some caramalt. The recipe says carapils.

So, two questions ..what's the difference? Will it matter?

Thanks

Martin

Planning a Goldings Single Hope Ale (GH) for tomorrow. Everything cleaned and sterilised. Grain weighed out. Got 200g of loose Goldings from Darlington Hop and Grape earlier in the week.

The Norwich Homebrew Club have very kindly sorted me out with a picnic box mash tun. This will be new for me, so far I have been BIAB. I am looking forwards to not burning my hands lifting and squeezing the bag. I plan to batch sparge, and looking forward to seeing the difference on my efficiency (usually c70%).

If I stick to my plan, I will make a short series of single hop ales - Goldings, Saaz, Cascade, Nelson Sauvin (all GH).

Cheers

Martin

4.7 kg maris otter
250g carapils
12.5 Lt at 74c, giving mash at 65c

So far, the cool box mash tun feels easier than the bag, easier to dough in effectively. I also expect it will be easier to lauter.

Hop schedule:

49g ekg start of boil
25g ekg last 15 mins
25g ekg last 5 minutes
75g ekg flame out
May also dry hop with 30g ekg

Cheers

Martin

Boil nearly finished...and I've just mashed in for my second brew of the day....a cascade single hop. I'm really interested to find out if there is an economy of time in doing two...

Gulp! My first double brew day.

Cheers

Marton

Back