Totally Tropical Pale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like mine, definitely something I'll brew again. I'll probably up the dry hopping a bit though. Also mine looks horrible! I'll get a photo when I next open a bottle, but it'll probably be the haziness from the oats and the Vermont yeast I used combined with the darkness from Munich which makes it look like puddle water. Next time I'll maybe drop the Munich. Perhaps give it some maltiness from using Golden Promise malt or something.

Sven - same in respect to clarity, it didn’t look horrible as such, but not clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s a snap of mine. It’s was bottled but I got a mini keg/growler just before Christmas from Naked Keg eBay ship which I fitted the gas/tap attachment so decanted into the keg and poured from it.
I used Golden Promise as my main malt.

F280C51E-92AB-4366-9DA5-9D10C8A8B68B.jpg

Looking to brew this one soon, hoping for a thick juicy ale as i'm using Vermont Ale yeast for the 1st time.
One question, as it's likely to be a cloudy beer should I not bother with adding protafloc ??

I did think about replying but I've never used Vermont ale yeast before so couldn't really advise. Don't think it'll do any harm at all.

Will be interesting how your brew turns out as it's a cracking ale with a clean yeast.

Keep us posted

Sure will Marty, hoping for a real winner.

I only asked because I am hoping for a hazy finished beer and I know protafloc clears beers so was worried my end product would be crystal clear despite using this yeast. Time will tell :)

Just got the notification about your post. If you want it to retain gaze it’s probably not worth adding but as you did it’ll be interesting to hear how it turned out.

Just saw this thread. The haze you're after (the classic NEIPA haze) is from hops, not malt. That hop haze is from adding a lot of hops at a certain time of fermentation IIRC, along with adding a lot of hops into secondary. Thinking about whether to add protafloc or not: I probably would probably add protafloc just to keep things the same. Whilst not a huge issue by any means, it would allow you to see the nice hop haze as opposed to a muddy beer. No one drinking would probably be able to tell though...

I tried my first bottle of this last night, two weeks after bottling. Absolutely delicious, my best brew so far. It was crystal clear - I used protofloc and fermented with US-05, and didn't dry hop until fermentation was over.

Rice is used in Budweiser, its one of the many reasons I don't drink it, rolled oats do the same, add body and mouth to a brew, ideal for stouts and porters

Glad it tasted so good, i'm hoping that the Vermont yeast will not clear................it's been going since Sunday now, raced away but slowed right down now, i'll leave it for at least another week before I do the 3 day dry hop.

Thanks for all the replies, nice to get the feedback
I tried my first bottle of this last night, two weeks after bottling. Absolutely delicious, my best brew so far. It was crystal clear - I used protofloc and fermented with US-05, and didn't dry hop until fermentation was over.

Glad to hear it went well. Since I last wrote here I was looking at some NEIPA recipes as I'd be interested in making my own some day soon. Some say to keep hopping at different times of fermentation, some right at the start, some three days into fermentation, some both and then again once it's finished etc.

What I don't quite understand is adding hops during active fermentation isn't great as a lot of the aromas are carried off by the CO2 escaping, so why waste hops doing this?

Brewed this again but using Kolsch yeast . My giddy aunt , so much more subtle in Hop kick. Love it !!

Finally got round to brewing this last night.

All went well. OG at 1.060 for 20l.

GRAIN BILL Maris Otter, Extra Pale 81.8% –4.5kg
Munich Malt 5.5% –300g
Oats, rolled 3.6% –200g
Sugar, white 9.1% –500g
HOPS Citra (14.2% AA) Boil 15 mins –20g
Citra (14.2% AA) Boil 10 mins –20g
Citra (14.2% AA) Boil 5 mins –30g
Citra (14.2% AA) Aroma steep –30g
Mosaic (11.2% AA) Aroma steep –100g
Amarillo (8.5% AA) Dry hop 3 days –50g
YEAST US-05

I know this is an old post but I'm planning on brewing this on Saturday. Did you put the white sugar in the boil or add it to the mash? I'd have thought the boil but just want to check! Thanks in advance!

Finally getting round to making this on tuesday. I currently only have US05 yeast so will be using that. As it it an expected OG of 1.060, shall I go with two packets?

I used one packet and it turned out ok.
That said - I read a book this week and it reckoned the biggest mistake amateur brewers make is not putting enough yeast in so my next brew I’m planning on trying two packs of yeast .

Thank you! Might go with two but will see what the general consensus. Mr Malty says to use 1.1 packs.

Back