Oxford teacher faces action over 'misgendering' pupil

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But there's absolutely nuthin' to be confused about; we're born with either a pole or a hole. Simples.

A pole 😳😳😳😳😳😳

Hope swmbo doesn’t read this
Does a pencil or a stencil work? 🤣

They'd be fine in the public sector! :lol:

Yeah, because it's a breeze in the public sector isn't it?:doh: just look at how easy it is to recruit and retain teachers, GPs, nurses.

I work in the public sector and am proud to do so. Some of my friends think I am mad to do what I do for how little I get paid and how much grief I get, often from people spouting the sort of rubbish above. It is a very different place than it was even 5 years ago.

Yeah, because it's a breeze in the public sector isn't it?:doh: just look at how easy it is to recruit and retain teachers, GPs, nurses.

I work in the public sector and am proud to do so. Some of my friends think I am mad to do what I do for how little I get paid and how much grief I get, often from people spouting the sort of rubbish above. It is a very different place than it was even 5 years ago.

oneflewover - spare me the righteous lecture of martyrdom, I work in the public sector! I'm 10 years in, and have a wife who is a teacher, so I'm perfectly aware of the day to day struggles...

My ACTUAL point was that the child would be fine in the public sector because if they one day decided to identify as the opposite sex, public sector employers would support that choice.

No need to leap down people's throats now is there? :nono:

Can’t be far off another one bites the dust......

As a scooterist I experience prejudice. Because in the classic scooter scene most people are patriotic and support our armed forces, the liberals assume we are racist, sexist or whatever. How long before remembrance is seen as ultra nationalist? The attached photo is from our wreath laying on Saturday. Pure sexism!

23435057_1723217711063945_8669441354945616604_n.jpg

The way i look at it is if you are born a girl you are a girl until you have surgery to make you a boy and its the same for boys, i was listening to 5 Live earlier and a girl/woman said she has been living as a boy for several years and uses male toilets, i bet if i were to go into a woman's toilet for a dump i would be arrested.

I'm pretty sure that there are no restrictions on what gender toilet you use, so go ahead and have a dump in the women's toilet, especially if you've had a big night and finished up with a vindaloo:lol:

As a scooterist I experience prejudice. Because in the classic scooter scene most people are patriotic and support our armed forces, the liberals assume we are racist, sexist or whatever. How long before remembrance is seen as ultra nationalist? The attached photo is from our wreath laying on Saturday. Pure sexism!

I'd definitely call that lot girls:thumb:

Just to put across another view point as the article does make it sound like a slip of the tongue and a complete over reaction.

From another article (Daily Mail... :twisted: I feel dirty):

He later discovered that the pupil’s family had claimed he had not only ‘misgendered’ the pupil but had unfairly given the pupil a disproportionate number of detentions for poor behaviour, though this later claim was not upheld during the investigation.
It is understood that the family’s main concern was that Mr Sutcliffe was picking on their child and they would not have complained about misgendering on its own as they are supporters of free speech.

'I said it was only one incident for which I had apologised, but he insisted the investigation would go ahead.
‘I had always tried to respect the pupil and keep a professional attitude as well as my integrity, but it seemed to me that the school was trying to force me to adhere to its liberal, Leftish agenda.’

Documents seen by The Mail on Sunday show the investigation also heard uncorroborated claims that Mr Sutcliffe had made several other references to the pupil as a ‘girl’ and had inappropriately discussed religious issues in his maths lessons, which he denies.
He said he had raised religious issues such as the anniversary of the Reformation in his general tutor group, in which he encourages older pupils to discuss topical issues in the news, but not during maths classes.
Mr Sutcliffe, a pastor at an evangelical church in Oxford, also said that several years ago he had started a voluntary Bible club during lunchtimes at the school which had been well attended.
But this had been shut down earlier this year after he had answered a student’s question on marriage by saying the Bible described it as being between a man and a woman, prompting a complaint about homophobia.
He said he had told senior staff carrying out the ‘misgender’ investigation that his private belief was that it was not wrong to call a person born a female a girl, but he would never do that publicly because he was a professional.
He added, however, that he did not feel that he should be made to use the pronouns ‘he’ or ‘him’ and that to force him to do so was a breach of his human rights.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...pended-praising-pupil-using-wrong-gender.html

Does give it a slightly different slant rather than a mere slip of the tongue.

On a side note, I think that there is a "cause" to the rise in transgender people. There is nothing wrong with people identifying as a different gender to their birth and I think that everyone can do what ever they feel is right for them, unless it purposely harms another. However there has been some research done into food and the affect that hormones etc in the food system could have an effect on people. I would suggest that better food practises and higher food quality would see the rise start to decline again...

Hope this isn’t heading down the religious route 😰
I’m a Christian so I’m not allowed to swear but what a pile of 🤬🤬🤬🤬 goes on in this mixed up world.
This is the one place it’s not good to spread the word so before anyone jumps on this, unless you want this locked don’t bother starting an argument 👍

Wait... what?!? The NHS really has a 'gender development identity service'?? No wonder they're skint. Why not buy a few anatomy textbooks with photographs, to enlighten those who aren't quite sure what they are?

I work for the public sector now after 30 years in the private sector and I can say that I have to do about 1/4 of the work I used to do. It is more about politics and perception than it is about productivity.
Not saying it's the same for all, as everybody says in such discussions nurses, doctors and teachers etc do get a tough time.
But from what I've seen in my situation, there are quite a few lame ducks who fold and have time off with stress as soon as the management try and squeeze even half a days work out of them.

Hope this isn’t heading down the religious route 😰
I’m a Christian so I’m not allowed to swear but what a pile of 🤬🤬🤬🤬 goes on in this mixed up world.
This is the one place it’s not good to spread the word so before anyone jumps on this, unless you want this locked don’t bother starting an argument 👍

Apologies, didn't mean to cause offence. Just found the different reporting angle interesting, as in there was more to it that a simple slip of the tongue.

I have trans friends, and I understand how hurtful it can be for them to be misgendered. And I don't think it's much to ask that people make an effort to use their preferred pronoun. Not making any effort is frankly just being a dick.

That said, they're usually pretty understanding if it is genuinely an accident. I have one friend I consistently misgender when speaking about in the past tense, because I knew him before he came out let alone transitioned, so in my memories he's a girl. And he understands that.

If the guy makes an effort and merely misspoke, and has apologised, then let it go.

@Dexter101

Well that puts a different spin on things, doesn't it?

"He added, however, that he did not feel that he should be made to use the pronouns ‘he’ or ‘him’ and that to force him to do so was a breach of his human rights."

Some people really need to get over themselves. It's hardly an onerous request, is it?

Why on earth would someone born with male bits imagine that they're anything other than male? I was born with only two arms but really believe that I should have been born an octopus. Do the NHS have a 'species realignment department' which could arrange for me to have six more stitched on to complete the delusion?

Why on earth would someone born with male bits imagine that they're anything other than male? I was born with only two arms but really believe that I should have been born an octopus. Do the NHS have a 'species realignment department' which could arrange for me to have six more stitched on to complete the delusion?

To be honest, if you tried hard enough you could probably get most things on the NHS.:whistle:

Gender isn't quite so cut and dry as you make it sound. In the womb, all babies start as girls, with Hermaphodytes (sp!?) the Drs and parents make a decision on "what would be best" Also exposure to hormones makes humans develop differently so a high level of Estrogen from a young age could start making boys display female traits (both physical and mentally) and vice versa with testosterone.

Also though I think they are being very quick to judge children. If a boy starts wanting to wear a dress, people start thinking he wants to be a girl, rather than just accepting that at face value and seeing how the child develops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back