Splitting yeast starter between batches

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ComradeAles

Reaction score
Hi guys

Apologies if these questions have been asked before but I searched and could only find similar (but not the same) situations so wanted to run my conclusions past more experienced brewers!

I brew small batches only (6 litres) and have up until now been pitching half packs of rehydrated dry yeast with decent results. However, I'd like to start experimenting with liquid yeasts, which is where my questions come in. If I create a 2 litre starter using the tried and tested erlenmeyer flask + stir plate method, can I create a starter that would be suitable for an 18 litre batch of the relevant OG and then simply use 1/3 immediately and split the other 2/3 between two sanitised jars to keep in the fridge for future batches? I actually brew quite frequently (up to 3 times a week) so they wouldn't be in the fridge for long.

I can't see why it wouldn't work, assuming that the yeast are spread throughout the starter wort in a uniform manner but I could be missing something.

My second question relates to sanitising the erlenmeyer flask and glass jars. I see a lot of people using a pressure cooker to sanitise. Wouldn't it be simpler to just dunk the equipment in my bucket of star san for the appropriate time? It's what I've been doing with the jug I rehydrate the dry yeast in and the drop or two of sanitiser that's left in the jug doesn't seem to cause the yeast any harm. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Hi ComradeAles,

Yes this will work, just swirl up the yeast before distributing it into the sanitized jars. The pressure cooker is probably overkill. I only use it to sterilize unfermented wort in hermetically sealed containers. Your yeast starter is already fermented and was in contact with unfiltered air so a clean / sanitized container is alright.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back