Buying ingredients in the UK online?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petertr2000

Reaction score
Any recommendations for the best & cheapest place to buy?

Was about to buy 25kg of LME from BrewUK for £99, then noticed other places have it for £65 ish - which has me thinking, maybe I'm buying from the wrong places!

TIA

Best and cheapest don't always equate, especially with LME.
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=69830&highlight=homebrewcompany

I tend to buy the dried stuff these days, but I'd be interested in whether people have managed to find a decent quality LME at a reasonable price.

Generally, I tend to move around most of the online suppliers. I find BrewUK a little expensive but the quality and packaging is always good, you get what you pay for.

The problem with buying LME in large quantities in one container is that unless you are going to use it all at once ( a 150 litre extract brew springs to mind :eek: ) after you have opened it you should then boil it later to ensure its not harbouring lots of nasty bugs. And boiling LME is something you should only be doing sparingly as far as I am aware.

Thanks. I'd been looking on the malt miller too.
£62 is a lot cheaper than £99 at BrewUK!

25kg would do 5 batches for me with a bit leftover, but its about 33% the price of buying it in 1.5kg tins.
I did all of last year with dry ME, and wanted to try something different this year

I would have thought that having it on an hour's boil would sort out any bugs/bacteria? Or should I reconsider and go back to dry?

That's a good price but like been said if not used in one go I would worry about it getting contaminated, 8 brews at 3kg a go would take me minimum 4/5 months to use up

Malt Miller. Excellent choice and service.
Just used BrewUK for the first time. They didn't have one of my items in stock, so said delivery would be next week. I swapped the out of stock item for something else which was £4.00 dearer. All despatched yesterday and they're not charging me the extra £4.00. Nice touch I thought.

Spoke to BrewUK today to ask why their 25Kg LME is £99 while 4 other companies are doing it for under £70
They said they couldn't even buy it for that price but are going to call Muntons to find out what's going on.

I wonder if there's 2 tiers of product out there??

Spoke to BrewUK today to ask why their 25Kg LME is �£99 while 4 other companies are doing it for under �£70
They said they couldn't even buy it for that price but are going to call Muntons to find out what's going on.

I wonder if there's 2 tiers of product out there??

Muntons do not get a good press on this site, on the whole. They come across as arrogant and complacent whenever they are asked real questions about what they provide. Especially yeast-wise.

Latest posts

Back