M36 Liberty Bell yeast.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerryjo

Still brewing though never get much time....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Used this in my Cascade SMaSH and harvested for reuse although not overly flocculant I got around 500ml between two flasks.
Through together a partial on Thursday night and all in about three hours as again I had another brainwave.
1.1kg of H&B malt extract.
1kg of Maris Otter
200g porridge oats
300g of Château ruby
200g of Cara red
Yeast 2nd generation M36
Hops Amarillo
10g pre-book
20g - 10 mins
20g dry hop for five days
Fermenter target 15 litres
OG 12 Brix - 1.048
Mash 30mins
Boil 30 mins

The whole idea was to through a quick partial/mini mash together in a relatively short time and all in all was quite quick.
My boil was 12 litres including mash liquor and extract reduced to 10 with a vigorous boil then topped up to 15 in the chill cube.
I have a few of these some of which I use as fermenters and some for storing grains so chilling overnight is with a blank lid and then swapping out for adapted lid for fermenter after pitching the yeast.
All now bubbling away in the brew fridge.
Shall be interesting to see as it was spur of the moment...m

Gerry

Have bottled the H&B after 8 days.On the fifth day ramp the temperature up to 24° for two then cold crashed too 1° for 24 hours before bottling.
Just took a notion to see what I would get from this and three days later as I bottled on Tuesday night after being pretty cloudy has been clearing pretty quickly though a good layer of sediment is present.
After bottling I left a litre of beer in the fermenter to cover the yeast which was now 2nd generation.
I still have a flask in the fridge from the cascade SMaSH which is purely for that so it's a side by side comparison from the same yeast cake.
On that note as I had Brewed a few batches on Tuesday and cube chilled I took a gravity reading on my second runnings which was 1.032 under 3% and to this I added 3 litres of my shipyard Rye Pale Ale clone as it was 1.072 and had no room left in my fermenter after diluting to 1.046,to that I then give the yeast a a damn good swilling with beer and all and pitched it into the second runnings.
What a concoction this will be but it was bubbling away this morning when I came in from work as were the other two brews and all harvested yeast cakes.
So shall continue to use this one in different brews to see how they turn out side by side.

Gerry

Back