Nottingham yeast 94% attenuation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
I'm working on a light hybrid ale at the moment. It's meant to mimic a light lager. I wanted to get as close to 1.000 FG as I could, as this will mean the beer will be very crisp (and dry of course) so it mimics a lager's crispness.

Last week I made a wort of 5% table sugar, 25% cornflakes, 70% pale malt. The OG was 1.036. I mashed it at 64C for two hours. I also use a big starter of notty (more yeast to do the work. One of the 'negatives' of over pitching is over attenuation). I've just taken a gravity reading and it's 1.002! So that as massive 94% attenuation :mrgreen:

That’s some going,be interesting to say the least and top marks for trying something different.
I brewed on Sat and used 1kg of Flaked rice in the mixture, not sure what it will bring to the beer if anything at all.
I also have 3kg of Flaked maize to use ??????

That’s some going,be interesting to say the least and top marks for trying something different.
I brewed on Sat and used 1kg of Flaked rice in the mixture, not sure what it will bring to the beer if anything at all.
I also have 3kg of Flaked maize to use ??????

I based it on this recipe https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/index.php?threads/miller-lite-really-triple-hopped.123937/ but in this recipe he uses amylase enzyme to get it down to 1.000. I thought I'd try out a combo of mash manipulation/yeast management/sugar to see if I could achieve the same.

Flaked rice will thin out the body of the beer similar to flaked maize but doesnt have any flavour unlike flaked maize which has a corn flavour

You can use the flaked maize in American stlyes of various sorts and harveys bitter which also uses it

Interesting idea.

I think potato in the mash is a common cheap adjunct that will ferment out very well.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Interesting idea.

I think potato in the mash is a common cheap adjunct that will ferment out very well.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Potato? Havent heard of that before. Might have to give it a go.

Someone else mentioned a couple of weeks ago, boiling some rice to gelatanise it, then use that in the mash. Cheap too

I based it on this recipe https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/index.php?threads/miller-lite-really-triple-hopped.123937/ but in this recipe he uses amylase enzyme to get it down to 1.000. I thought I'd try out a combo of mash manipulation/yeast management/sugar to see if I could achieve the same.

Flaked rice will thin out the body of the beer similar to flaked maize but doesnt have any flavour unlike flaked maize which has a corn flavour

You can use the flaked maize in American stlyes of various sorts and harveys bitter which also uses it
Thats ok
I was hoping for a sort of Bud/Coors light beer that actually tastes of something if that makes any sense.

Thats ok
I was hoping for a sort of Bud/Coors light beer that actually tastes of something if that makes any sense.

Absolutely. This is what I'm attempting with this light hybrid beer I've been experimenting with.

I actually like bud lite but when I drink it, I think, 'this could be really nice if it had some late additons'. So I'm trying to make something similar but I dont have a brew fridge so I'm using a few work arounds

Have you tried Williams Bros Ceaser Augustus ? It’s an IPA/Lager hybrid and it’s good,uses Nelson Sauvin I think

No I havent. I'm not sure I'd enjoy it. I dont like IPA's because their too hoppy for me. One of the reasons I like lagers is that (as a very general rule of thumb) normally the hops are fairly restrained

Caesar Augustus is far from hoppy. I suppose they only call it an IPA/lager hybrid because it's top fermented, and IPA is a term that people understand more (even if, especially in this case, it means nothing).

Caesar Augustus is far from hoppy. I suppose they only call it an IPA/lager hybrid because it's top fermented, and IPA is a term that people understand more (even if, especially in this case, it means nothing).

Not sure how they label it but it’s got a few hops in it

77429847-7F42-4426-AB96-2DCEF0FFE1E8.png

56BE142A-8B54-44BD-8DFB-5D63E50DCC4C.png

DD6C8A83-31C0-4E02-B993-95FC99DF5E4E.png

Latest posts

Back