Proper Job

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jvb

Reaction score
Hi
Does anyone have a recipe for Proper Job (St Austell)?

Thanks

Hi

Does anyone have a recipe for Proper Job (St Austell)?

Thanks

Also interested in this as it’s a favourite of mine. I can tell you they use willamette, cascade and chinook hops but I’m yet to find a recipe to follow. There is an all grain kit available but at £30 it’s a tad pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dont know what yeast they use but you could probably harvest it from a bottle itself but I suspect its probably a chico strain.

What I have seen previously you use chinook for the bittering and willamet and cascade for finishing.. I guess it will always be some kind of guess though.

I'm just doing the clone from BrewUK. Apparently it won the 'who can design the closest home-brew match to Proper Job' competition. It has the full hop schedule on the recipe, but not sure about the malt. I'll dig the sheet out when I get home.

Recipe would help !

4kg Pale Ale Malt
250g Crystal 60L
250g Dark Crystal 80L

60 Minute Mash at 66 degrees
10 Minute mash out at 75 degrees

60 Minute boil

Hop additions

60 Minutes
9.00 Cascade 7.2 IBU
9.00 Chinook 11.3 IBU
9.00 Willamette 5.2 IBU

10 Minutes
11.00 Willamette 2.3 IBU
13.00 Chinook 5.9 IBU
16.00 Cascade 4.7 IBU

5 Minutes
17.00 Chinook 4.3 IBU
15.00 Cascade 2.4 IBU
13.00 Willamette 1.5 IBU

Flame Out
6.00 Cascade
6.00 Willamette
6.00 Chinook

OG 1.047
FG 1.009
IBU 44.7

Yeast Danstar Nottingham

No dry hopping this time, although may well consider it next time, depending on how it comes out.

I did brew this back in the summer. Certainly reminded me of Proper Job, but wasn't quite there. Certainly one which I'll experiment with in the coming months.

Here is the Grainfather recipe, as I copied it from the BrewUK instructions.
They were specific about the hop schedule, but for the grist I just weighed the lot and put it all in a MO pale.
OG came out a bit lower then indicated on the attached.

Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 13.29.57.png

Looking at the BrewUK website, this winner of the 'Proper Job Challenge' might just be a straight 5.5Kg of MO

Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 13.35.16.png

Might have to try it without the crystal malts, it may well have been those which gave the flavour which "wasn't quite right", but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. That along with trying a dry hop.

Might have to try it without the crystal malts, it may well have been those which gave the flavour which "wasn't quite right".

I think you're right, I've made the BrewUK Extract version and it just uses light spraymalt with no steeped grains. It was spot on: I took a bottle on holiday next to a St Austell pub and was able to do an A/B with a pint in the pub then a pint of my own. I couldn't tell the difference.

It did benefit from a longish conditioning time (too sweet initially), but then again it is 5.5% ABV. For AG the amount of grain you need will depend on your efficiency to get a 5.5% brew.

In the recipe I have, the hop additions are at 60min, 30min, 15min and 0min (steeped for 30min) - no dry hop.

Just as a quick update: I bottled my BrewUK all grain Proper Job last night (made with the hop schedule I posted earlier) and the little taster I had was excellent. Tasted just like the real thing. When it's carbed and conditioned I might try a side-by-side comparison with a bottle of proper Proper Job.

Do you have a recipe / guide for that? I tend to brew 10l batches would love to do this Extract

Here is the Grainfather recipe, as I copied it from the BrewUK instructions.
They were specific about the hop schedule, but for the grist I just weighed the lot and put it all in a MO pale.
OG came out a bit lower then indicated on the attached.

I’ll be trying this one [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a recipe / guide for that? I tend to brew 10l batches would love to do this Extract

For the AG version (23L):

5.5Kg Maris Otter Pale

60 min boil

10g Chinook @ 60 min
10g Willamette @ 60min

10g Chinook @ 30 min
10g Willamette @ 30min
13g Cascade @ 30 min

7g Chinook @ 15 min
20g Willamette @ 15min
20g Cascade @15 min

8g Chinook @ hopstand 20 min
24g Willamette @ hopstand 20 min
26g Cascade @ hopstand 20 min

Danstar Nottingham yeast

For extract, use about 3.5Kg light dried malt extract plus the hop schedule above, and I think that will turn out the same. @Darrellm will be able to correct me if i am wrong.

For the AG version (23L):

5.5Kg Maris Otter Pale

60 min boil

10g Chinook @ 60 min
10g Willamette @ 60min

10g Chinook @ 30 min
10g Willamette @ 30min
13g Cascade @ 30 min

7g Chinook @ 15 min
20g Willamette @ 15min
20g Cascade @15 min

8g Chinook @ hopstand 20 min
24g Willamette @ hopstand 20 min
26g Cascade @ hopstand 20 min

Danstar Nottingham yeast

For extract, use about 3.5Kg light dried malt extract plus the hop schedule above, and I think that will turn out the same. @Darrellm will be able to correct me if i am wrong.
New in town and I really want to try this but I don't inderstand what the "hop schedule" is....
Is it that at 60min boil point you add :

10g Chinook @ 60 min
10g Willamette @ 60min

then after another 30mins:

10g Chinook @ 30 min
10g Willamette @ 30min
13g Cascade @ 30 min

and then so on?

what is "hopstand?" Removal from heat?

Thanks and apologies

New in town and I really want to try this but I don't inderstand what the "hop schedule" is....
Is it that at 60min boil point you add :

10g Chinook @ 60 min
10g Willamette @ 60min

then after another 30mins:

10g Chinook @ 30 min
10g Willamette @ 30min
13g Cascade @ 30 min

and then so on?

what is "hopstand?" Removal from heat?

Thanks and apologies

Yes, hops are timed at minutes from the END of the boil. Hop stand is adding hops into cooler wort - 85 deg C is the oft quoted temp. Just let the hops steep to extract aroma without (much) bitterness.

Yes, hops are timed at minutes from the END of the boil. Hop stand is adding hops into cooler wort - 85 deg C is the oft quoted temp. Just let the hops steep to extract aroma without (much) bitterness.
mm so is the boil bit the same as the mash bit ? Wot you do first? Apologies.

mm so is the boil bit the same as the mash bit ? Wot you do first? Apologies.

Back