Finally going to brew again

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phettebs

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have not brewed in over a month and have finally set aside some time to do so this weekend. I'm making my Belgian Tripel so it's ready for summer consumption!

It's a very basic recipe:
Belgian Pils malt
sugar
Hallertau for bittering and a bit of Saaz for flavour
A large starter of Wyeast 3787
OG: 1.083
IBU: ?? don't remember but it's negligible

I'm going to change a few things up this time because the last couple batches have seemed "thin" to me. I've been mashing at around 148F (~64C) to help maximize attenuation. I'm going to bump that up to 152F (~66C) to leave a little more residual sweetness and body in it. I think I will use demerara sugar this time instead of plain white. I've used Belgian candi sugar in the past and never really noticed a difference for the expense of it.

This is one of the very few beers of mine that the wife will drink so these changes are also based on her feedback. She likes to compare mine to her two favorite commercial Belgians: Maredsous 10 and Kasteel Tripel so I have my work cut out for me.

I'm just happy to be brewing again!

I've got a similar brew lined up for next weekend, I was planning to throw in a little bit of belgian biscuit and perhaps some vienna malt to add a bit more taste.

Good luck.

Are you going to invert the sugar? That's loads of fun (although it's arguable whether it makes any difference unless you caramelise it).

One thing about the grain - have you got any Special B (Dingemans) malt? It will add a bit of intense, malty sweetness which typifies a lot of the Belgian brews. It's worth getting your hands on some.

I'm going to see how close I can get to Westvleteren 12 for my next Belgian brew. Westmalle yeast starter ready to go. I may leave it a week or two yet - I've brewed 4 times in the last fortnight including today and am currently running out of equipment. One's a lager and one's a wit, so that's one fridge totally full at the moment.

I always keep special B on hand but I haven't ever added it to my tripel. I keep with the Westmalle guidelines and just use Belgian Pils and sugar. I don't plan to invert the sugar.

phettebs said:
I always keep special B on hand but I haven't ever added it to my tripel. I keep with the Westmalle guidelines and just use Belgian Pils and sugar. I don't plan to invert the sugar.

Ah, right. I didn't realise that you were brewing the Westmalle tripel style. I see that you made the mistake I did many years ago - introduce the missus to Belgian beers. That's a big mistake because if you cannot recreate their favourite tipple, then you are (well, I am) worse than useless.

phettebs said:
Yeah, you got that right. Nothing worse than that "this isn't a Belgian" type look after the first sip!

Introduce her to Lambics.

Then, if you have a brew that you suspect has been contaminated (perish the thought), the magic words "It's Lambic" will get you out of a hole.

I had her try a Kriek and she liked that. But I suspect it had more to do with the cherries than anything. She's not overly adventurous when it comes to beer so it has always shocked me that she enjoys Belgians so much.

Latest posts

Back