DJ substitute

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bobsbeer said:
Or get one of these from a HB shop. Just drill a 15mm hole in the lid and pop one of these and the airlock.

i was looking at these will they seal well on the lids. defo gonna do some wine in them

or just put a hole in with a hand/power drill and bodge the airlock in...you can only use em like 3 times anyway because they get dented and pick up smells.

so when ya say bodge them in what do ya sergest mate. i was looking at the gramit above as an option like

I just cut a hole in the lid with scissors and a scalpel then pushed a normal DJ cork in and it works perfect.

both'll be fine, you just need a tight hole of sorts (ooh err.)
I've got a drill bit that's about the same size as an airlock and with a little force it fits in snug. You just need a way to get the hole in and keep it tight. You could always surround it with kitchen roll - I used it in place of an airlock the once with no problems!

H0N3YoM0N5T3R said:
i was looking at these will they seal well on the lids. defo gonna do some wine in them

Yes they seal just fine. I have a few of them. You only need to do this on one lid, then reuse the lid. If you get another PET and keep the undrilled top to put on to store the wine later. You need to get 2 PET's so you can rack from one to the other, so just drill one lid.

These water bottles are what I use for brewing, but I cheated and bought lids with the seal already in them from my LHBS since I don't have a drill to put holes in the lids. I keep the original lids and often use them to store the wine in for maturing in bulk. I have 4 for maturing at the moment, 1 fermenting and 3 empty just now :) I also have 19L converted water bottles which are great for doing 4G brews in :)

cheers guys i went with the gromit and bubbler and got it bang pn. i also like the idea of leaving wine to mature in them so may give that ago.

ingypingy2 said:
These water bottles are what I use for brewing, but I cheated and bought lids with the seal already in them from my LHBS since I don't have a drill to put holes in the lids. I keep the original lids and often use them to store the wine in for maturing in bulk. I have 4 for maturing at the moment, 1 fermenting and 3 empty just now :) I also have 19L converted water bottles which are great for doing 4G brews in :)
hi all my first post i have two 18.5l water bottles were did you get the bungs from to fit then im strugling to find them i looked on ebay but all i found were some from usa and in total with delevery they worked out like £15 each :shock: ,any help would be very welcome ty

If you check out marrsey's instructions, he has a guide on how to convert the lids, so you can use them for brewing, I followed it and it works fine :)

Latest posts

Back