Munton's - Nut Brown Ale Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRXnMe

Landlord.
Reaction score
I kegged this off recently, the obligatory taster while it was being transferred ws absolutely gorgeous :)

Very much in the same taste experience as Newcastle Brown Ale, only slightly 'sharper' on the after taste.

It's now set to mature and will be due for consumption in a few weeks, although as I've got 3 kegs lined up before it, it may get a long old time to mature :)

hi
my mate brewed this a couple of times and when i sampled some i thought this has a unusual taste but nice all the same.a few weeks back i had a few pints of brains milkwood which is also a nut brown ale and it tasted identical,i was amazed cause this is a 1 can kit so ive got one to brew this week hopefully it tastes like my mates. cheers

HI
just my update on the brew,its been kegged for about 5 weeks now and i have to say i love this stuff its so smooth an tasty,i brewed it with 1kg of bke an primed with dark brown sugar,ive done 15 bottles so i can leave to mature for 6 months or so.Im more than happy with this kit and ill buy it again in the near future.
Cheers!

I've just tried this kit myself, in the fv for 2 weeks and in the bottle for 3 weeks.

It has quite a nice malty flavour but i find it very mild, not much of a hoppy flavour coming through. Personally i prefer a bolder flavour.

Maybe it needs another couple of weeks to mature.

Also it was my first attempt at home brewing so its possible it wasn't made perfectly.

sdsratm said:
I've just tried this kit myself, in the fv for 2 weeks and in the bottle for 3 weeks.

It has quite a nice malty flavour but i find it very mild, not much of a hoppy flavour coming through. Personally i prefer a bolder flavour.

Maybe it needs another couple of weeks to mature.

Also it was my first attempt at home brewing so its possible it wasn't made perfectly.

Did you put the entire packet of hop pellets into the brew?

If so, then you can buy 'teabag' hops to add a little extra, simply throw them into the FV and pour hot water onto them as part of the process of making up the wort.

Alternately, welcome to the darkside* ;)

*local term for All Grain (AG) brewers, people who make the exact beer they want from malts, hops yeast and some interesting adjuncts.

Erm hop pellets?
Ha, no I didn't put hop pellets in it, like i say it was my first brew and and didn't really know what I was doing then.
Come to think of it, tis a miracle it's drinkable at all :D

sdsratm said:
Erm hop pellets?
Ha, no I didn't put hop pellets in it, like i say it was my first brew and and didn't really know what I was doing then.
Come to think of it, tis a miracle it's drinkable at all :D

The one I did came with a small packet of hop pellets, apparently some might not....

From my own experience it is quite hard to make a bad beer from a kit, as long as sanitation is strictly adhered to you'll get a good beer :)

I agree, hard to make a bad beer from a kit!
I did NBA in the spring and it turned out a very pleasant brew.
I brewed mine to 7% and was pleased with the result. From memory I also felt it lacked a little "something", but good nonetheless. :cheers:

Yeah it's not that it's bad, just not great.

I think the addition of the hop pellets would have made a big improvement.

:)

Just an update on this, ive had this in the bottles for about 3 months now and its actually got worse somehow. As i mentioned previously there was very little hop flavour but a nice malty sweetness, but now the sweetness has diminished and its a bit like sparkling water :(

TRXnMe said:
Very much in the same taste experience as Newcastle Brown Ale, only slightly 'sharper' on the after taste.

That's all I needed to hear. Ordered :thumb:

Just brewed this up with 1KG dark spraymalt and about 400g brew sugar. OG was 1.045.

This came out verrrry nice. Only been cold conditioning for a day but very tasty indeed. Bit overly carbonated because I primed with a little more than usual, but very good. Not at all unlike Newcastle Brown :thumb:

Put another one of these on with the intention of saving it till Christmas. Probably be all gone by Halloween tho.

1KG of dark DME, 300g muscavado.

Back