Wilko's Own Brand Cerveza.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
9ubynesy.jpg

Update: another week older and still rank :haha:

Grotzilla said:
9ubynesy.jpg

Update: another week older and still rank :haha:

That really doesnt have any life does it? Mines fizzing wildly and tastes a lot better every time I have one but it definitely doesnt blow my mind.

Well it certainly looks clear, mine's been cooling for 3 weeks in the shed and is still really cloudy but has plenty of fizz (tried one at the weekend for research purposes :whistle: ).The taste wasn't too bad bit still surprised how dark its turned out.

1morebru said:
Well it certainly looks clear, mine's been cooling for 3 weeks in the shed and is still really cloudy but has plenty of fizz (tried one at the weekend for research purposes :whistle: ).The taste wasn't too bad bit still surprised how dark its turned out.
Measured the FG in Mine last night after 16 days in FV. It was much lighter than when I t started and was completely clear. Lacked any character but hopefully that will improve in the bottle.

Yup. I'm the same. It's been just over two weeks and tastes rank!

Can't work out how to upload a pic. It won't let me show my tweet pic
:sick:

I'll get through this. About six weeks in maybe and it's improving. But I think it has the flavour of sweeteners rather than sugar. It tastes artificial.

I've just started this using S-23 lager yeast and some Saaz hops fermenting in the garage around 10 degreesC so hopefully that improves the kit somewhat. I read somewhere that you could reuse the trub left behind from an old brew and pitch the wort straight on to it and start again. As the yeast was £3.50 a pack and you needed 2 packs (£7 for Yeast!!! :shock: ) I bought all 3 wilkos lager, pilsner and cerveza kits and the cerveza will be the 3rd time I will have used the same yeast. I thought I'd try a proper/ish lager given the current temps and all have been left to lager in the secondary as close to zero as possible (garaged in ice buckets!) with an oz of saaz to dry hop. Just bottled the lager today, put the pilsner in the secondary and started the cerveza. Gives a nice 2-3 week cycle of changing and shifting and at the end of it I should have around 100 pints of hopefully decent lager. I'll post back after 1st samples to see if it still tastes what could only be described as "sweaty ball sack" :thumb:

Since I have no interest or experience of the taste "sweaty ball sack" I cannot compare the Wilkinson mexican cerveza to this. I was very pleased with how mine came out! No carbonation issues. Got one bottle left after supplying my local landlord with some in a trade for bottles and a bit of a session with my brother during the autumn internationals. Not one I will put on again in a rush because the taste was average.

itbrvilla said:
itbrvilla said:
Put this on last night with 500g light spray malt and 1kg of brewing sugar SG was 1.042 which I thought seemed low?

I can't believe how dark it it compared to the Woodford's Sundew I put on a month or so ago.
Been on 3 days already and the colour has changed massively!!! I haven't looked inside but its gone feom being as dark as my Youngs Harvest Biter to as light as my Sundew!!!
Had a bottle of this on the weekend. Great mouthfeel and carbonation. Not so sure on the taste but will give it a month or 2 before trying agin.

pauljohnmorris said:
itbrvilla said:
pauljohnmorris said:
How much did you prime that with?

I primed with two measured teaspoons of granulated sugar per 568ml (bottle using bulmers cider bottles) using kitchen measuring spoons. Hope this helps
Thanks. I added 1 teaspoon to 500 ml bottles got a slight fizz but could do with a bit more. Only been bottled 3 weeks.

Well i am might impressed and shocked given all the negative reviews on this one.
Brewed just with 1 kg of brewing sugar to 20L on the 24th October - bottled 14th Nov with 1 tsp sugar. Tonight i opened the bottle on the right

This was the last bottle from FV - I didn't bother to move into the house, just left it on the garage floor to try and drop the sediment. Then after 2 weeks put in the beer fridge.
Crystal clear (except for the quarter inch of yeast left in the bottle) great fizz and tasted clean and fresh - looking forward to the rest that did spend 2 weeks in house before moving to garage to condition :thumb:

itbrvilla said:
Any of you guys got any feedback yet or you still holding out?

Mines still lagering at the minute, Gonna leave it as long as possible (til I've nearly ran out of anything else), prime, leave for 2 weeks and then taste. Will post feedback once I've tasted :thumb:

Had another of these this week. Very lively, and very fresh and tasty. Maltiness and dryness have disappeared. Its has the mouthfeel of an ale but the taste is very much lagery. Carbed up nicely!

Recommend giving this one time!

This is my first try at lager, been in my fv for 10 days sg/1044 now at 1008(4.8%) but still producing a few bubbles ,nice pale lager colour, probably bottle up sun/mon all being well. Hope I can leave it alone once in the bottles, will 1 teaspoon per 500ml bottle be enough for this one?? I like my lager fizzy not flat...

Latest posts

Back