Cane Sugar V's Brewing Sugar. Anyone?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike383838

Reaction score
OK Im New to this and searched this on the forum. Cant find a topic that would explain this to new brewers. Hope Im not being a pest :oops:

I know Cane Sugar needs to be converted by the yeasties before being eaten to make ethanol so this would take longer and hence why my wines with Cane Sugar take longer to ferment out, I'm I right?

Someone told me Boiling the Cane sugar solution inverts it and then makes it easier for the yeast but Iv done that and it still takes longer in my opinion.

Is it better to use Brewing sugar which would work out more expensive or could I buy it in bulk and save?

Just wondering if anyone has a take on this one........

I think brewing sugar contains a little dextrose non fermentable sugar so good for beers as 100% fermentation leads to thinner beers.

for wines or washes cane sugar should be fine, the enzyme that breaks down sucrose doesn't delay fermentation that long, though you can invert the sugar yourself as you said making sure you keep it slighty acidified with some citric acid as you boil it. TBH the time it takes to invert is not really worth the effort of boiling it for half an hour or more.

Stick to cane sugar would be my call

I haven't had any problems with normal cane sugar, I buy it as cheap as possible! Slow fermentations are fine, just hold on to your patience and your brew will be better for it. You could go for the more expensive brewing sugar, but for the sake of a couple of extra days brewing time (if it is that) you may as well keep your pennies ;)

As said, you need a bit of citric acid in with the sugar when you boil it to invert it. Does it need to be boiled or just heated? No idea.

Dextrose _does_ ferment. Maltodextrin doesn't.

Its the molecular structure of the glucose and fructose like "maltose" is "glucose-glucose" and "maltotrious" is "glusoce-glucose-glucose" and therefore dextrose i cant remember the structure of it but its different from normal can sugar "glucose."
Someone correct me if im wrong.

Thanks again folks, you are all confirming things I have read. Some say boil for 15 mins some 30 mins with 1 tea spoon of citric. I like the Idea of the long ferment and better taste but was unsure if this is folklore :) The wine kits just finish so fast that I got disorientated. I dip tested my Rioja today and its definitely drinkable but too acidic for me, so hoping a month more will mellow it. This is a great hobby and tasty too. I'm hooked. Until today I wasn't sure if I was mad. But the proof its in the tasting and its getting there for sure. :)

Devonhomebrew said:
Its the molecular structure of the glucose and fructose like "maltose" is "glucose-glucose" and "maltotrious" is "glusoce-glucose-glucose" and therefore dextrose i cant remember the structure of it but its different from normal can sugar "glucose."
Someone correct me if im wrong.

No idea if you are or not, I just remember wiki having a good article on the various sugars and their structures. I think it was wiki.

Back