Prosecco!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot to mention, I back sweetened with 2 tsp per bottle, as the lady don't like it too dry. I would think you'd still need 1 tsp if you liked it extra dry.

Should Campden tablets be added at the beginning of the fermentation. Did anyone use them in their recipe? If yes how many tablets should be added for 25L?
Would adding a tablet per 5L before bottling kill the yeast? The intention is to prime the wine with sugar before bottling to get it to fizz but worried that if I don't add the Campden tablets it will spoil in the bottles?

Your Gona hate me for this but I brew any Italian dry white wine and bang in in the soda stream when needed and its bang on got this tip from one of Heston Blumenthal tv shows you can't tell the difference.

Chill it then zap it , I did a bad thing :-?:-? Got an empty prosecco bottle and filled it no one blinked an eye lid apart from me haven't looked into the production of prosecco but I would say that's how they produce it any how (on a larger scale) happy days

Chill it then zap it , I did a bad thing :-?:-? Got an empty prosecco bottle and filled it no one blinked an eye lid apart from me haven't looked into the production of prosecco but I would say that's how they produce it any how (on a larger scale) happy days

.... mmm, thought I read something recently in the homebrew makers press about hey guys, have you been to Zutman's house, does a really ****e impersonation of Prosecco. Think he is blasting horse p**s in an Aquastream!!!

Or was that somebody else? :lol::whistle:

After seeing the various recipes for Clone Prosecco I decided I'd have a go; Christmas is coming and the wife and daughter love the stuff so a good clone will save me a mint!
Anyhow, the recipe I chose said to use White Grape Juice...hah! Could I find WGJ anywhere? I eventually decided I'd try some cheap supermarket product called "Welch’s Grape Boost". Well experimentation is half what homebrew is about, and nothing ventured nothing gained. It's a mix of consumer-driven-pap - White Grape Juice 12%, Pear Juice 5%, and Apple Juice 3%, “fruit” juice 20%. About as vague as you can get, and it saves them changing the packaging as they squirt in whatever blend of c**p is cheap at the moment when packaging, but containing the same type of fruit juices as the recipe I was following.
Anyway, the recipe I used was this:

2L Welch’s Grape Boost - Green Box: White Grape Juice 12%, Pear Juice 5%, and Apple Juice 3%. “fruit” juice 20%.
2L Water
500g White Sugar
1.5 tsp Yeast: Youngs Super Yeast Compound.
1 tsp Pectolase
1 tsp Citric Acid

Method:

Put fruit juice into a demijohn.
Put Water into a saucepan, add the sugar, stirred and gently heated until the sugar was dissolved. DO NOT Heat above 30 °C.
Poured the Sugar Water into the demijohn.
Took the starting Gravity. My Starting Gravity was 1060 on 14/09/2017 at 28°C.
Added the Yeast.
Inserted the Air Lock and placed in the kitchen.
Fermented out to dry, near .990. A few small bubbles still visible to see rising, but self-cleared incredibly well. It took my brew 35 days to get there!!! Is this because our kitchen isn’t heated, or that warm?
Decanted into a clean demijohn, and then decanted into bottles and put 2 teaspoon sugar/500ml in each. I was going to use screw-top recycled Lambrini bottles as they have a product with fizz in it, but managed to re-use some old champagne bottles.

I was markedly impressed by the taste at bottling, which is a first for me. The wife loved it, which is great news. Now I just need it to fizz up and it looks like a good clone. I'll buy some real stuff and do a family taste comparison and report back, probably mid-late November 2017.

After seeing the various recipes for Clone Prosecco I decided I'd have a go; Christmas is coming and the wife and daughter love the stuff so a good clone will save me a mint!
Anyhow, the recipe I chose said to use White Grape Juice...hah! Could I find WGJ anywhere? I eventually decided I'd try some cheap supermarket product called "Welch’s Grape Boost". Well experimentation is half what homebrew is about, and nothing ventured nothing gained. It's a mix of consumer-driven-pap - White Grape Juice 12%, Pear Juice 5%, and Apple Juice 3%, “fruit” juice 20%. About as vague as you can get, and it saves them changing the packaging as they squirt in whatever blend of c**p is cheap at the moment when packaging, but containing the same type of fruit juices as the recipe I was following.
Anyway, the recipe I used was this:

2L Welch’s Grape Boost - Green Box: White Grape Juice 12%, Pear Juice 5%, and Apple Juice 3%. “fruit” juice 20%.
2L Water
500g White Sugar
1.5 tsp Yeast: Youngs Super Yeast Compound.
1 tsp Pectolase
1 tsp Citric Acid

Method:

Put fruit juice into a demijohn.
Put Water into a saucepan, add the sugar, stirred and gently heated until the sugar was dissolved. DO NOT Heat above 30 °C.
Poured the Sugar Water into the demijohn.
Took the starting Gravity. My Starting Gravity was 1060 on 14/09/2017 at 28°C.
Added the Yeast.
Inserted the Air Lock and placed in the kitchen.
Fermented out to dry, near .990. A few small bubbles still visible to see rising, but self-cleared incredibly well. It took my brew 35 days to get there!!! Is this because our kitchen isn’t heated, or that warm?
Decanted into a clean demijohn, and then decanted into bottles and put 2 teaspoon sugar/500ml in each. I was going to use screw-top recycled Lambrini bottles as they have a product with fizz in it, but managed to re-use some old champagne bottles.

I was markedly impressed by the taste at bottling, which is a first for me. The wife loved it, which is great news. Now I just need it to fizz up and it looks like a good clone. I'll buy some real stuff and do a family taste comparison and report back, probably mid-late November 2017.

Sounds good - never used Welch’s before so hope it turns out ok.
Must start thinking about my Xmas brews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mmmmm yes prosecco is impossible to make at home but it is possible to make a sparkling wine and lots of ways of doing it all I'm saying is my method is to filter the dry white wine that I've made and force carbonate it and there's lots of ways in doing that depends how deep your pockets are. If you just want to carbonate 1 bottle now and again I know which way I would go

As per my previous post promise, here is the review:
Wife and daughter both agree the that it's a very nice tasting wine but when opened, it went "PHUT". No fizz whatsoever :-(
It's got a nice bouquet too. I'm tempted to bung in some more yeast into the remaining bottles and see if I can't get the fizz to work.

The recipe I got from a collegue for 5 liter is:

1.5 liter applejuice
0.5 liter red grape juice
2 liter water
400 gram sugar
fruity white wine yeast

He only adds 2 tsp of sugar in the bottle get a fizzy drink.

I dont have enough space to try it but he said its realy close to a Italian Prosecco :).
How much yeast do you put in

I’ll have to try this for SWMBO, then she might not moan so much with my purchases😂

I made the original recipe ( the red grape juice one) and although it tastes ok there is no fizz at all.
I added a few sprinkles of yeast to each bottle and 1stp of sugar.
Put in the fermenting fridge for about 10 days and the bottles (tonic water) are not that firm at all. The TC I made at the same time ( in 2l cider bottles) are hard as a hard thing.
Hey Ho

Just made Stevey’s recipe but with 250ml of white grape concentrate instead of the half bottle and used champagne yeast - SG was 1100 the room is 21c - how long do you think it will take to ferment?

Also do I leave it in the demijohn or do I need to transfer it to a second demijohn after a week or so?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back