wine storage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyrebo

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm toying with the idea of getting rid of most of my bottles and using an alternative method for storing my wine. Currently I tend to fill a jug from the FV after it has cleared and then put that in the fridge when needed as I struggle to find the time to bottle 5 gallons at a time. Also i want to clear some space in the cellar and the bottles may have to go.

Has anyone got any alternative suggestions and/or experiences..? I've been looking at re-usable wine bags, or using old 5 ltr water bottles.

Any help would be appreciated.

There is always bag in a box, you still have to fill it all, but there's less hassle because the bags are much larger quantities.

I use 5ltr water containers for shorter term storage (around a year). I have also seen 2ltr bottles used. Demijohns are still the best for longer term. I plan to uses these for my mead and blackberry wines later this year. Did have a play with wine box bags but I was concerned about how clean they would be.

I use polypins, essentially a 20 litre bag in a box with a removable tap. The cardboard box should never be allowed to get wet but does deteriorate over time anyway. For white wine, I simply use 2 bottles so there is always a full one chilling in the fridge. Any sediment is no problem when decanting providing the box is not disturbed. However, when the contents get low, some air must be let in, so it's best to bottle the last few litres. I also put oak chips in to simulate a wooden barrel.
A very cheap option (Aldi, £4) is a 20 litre camping water container with carry handles and removable tap but no box. As yet, I have not found a suitable box which not only must be the right size, shape (cube) and strength, but must have holes cut for at least one of the handles and one for the tap, which must also hold it in place securely. This is in fact impossible when the tap is unscrewed.

Back