Quick fill-Bottling beers the MEB(quick) way.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEB

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm processing the pic's tomorrow and will complete the thread then. I timed myself tonight with a dozen 750ml bottles during my bottling session. Which was 36 bottles and a cornie. From picking up the first bottle, sterilising, priming, filling and capping 12 bottles-9min 46 Seconds.
I've seen some homebrewers claiming that one hour for 20 bottles is fast? :shock: One hour for 20 bottles is not worth the hour of my time I'm afraid-I may as well go and buy beer. :roll:
I use 70% Meth solution as a contact steriliser in a spray bottle-For those who worry about some 'make believe' health issues(and that is exactly what they are-make believe) here is what I do. 5 quick sprays into the rinsed and clean bottle=5ml(70%sloution). Swirl solution around bottle and shake out. Remaining solution=less than .5ml. Think about that for a second-less than .5ml residue of 70% meth solution. If your that worried about it rinse it out with a little bit of water. Overall cost of .5ml of 70% meth solution=I can't be bothered to work it out. It's next to nothing. Time it takes=nano seconds. Nasties it kills=everything that can fark your brew. :cool:

Here's the procedure I use :thumb:
I rinse all my bottles once they are poured. When I have a crate(12) I then put these into my dishwasher with no rinse aid in and run them through a standard wash cycle. These then get stored upside down back in the crate. I simply grab a crate and start my bottling procedure. Which goes like this
Give bottle 5 good sprays of 70% Meth Solution. Swirl around and pour out. Shake bottle to get rid of majority of residue. Pop in a carb drop(these are so cheap and convenient I don't know why everyone doesn't use them) and fill with a bottle filler. Pick up cap and give small mist of Meth solution, shake out excess. Cap bottle. Done.
Done-in less than a minute you can pick out your bottle, sterilse it, prime it, fill it, cap it.
For me the best thing about knowing how the commercial and brewmasters brew is the time they don't waste. The tricks of the trade.
It took me longer to stick the labels on :roll:

MEB said:
I use 70% Meth solution as a contact steriliser in a spray bottle-For those who worry about some 'make believe' health issues(and that is exactly what they are-make believe)
:hmm:
Methanol has a high toxicity in humans. If ingested, as little as 10 mL can cause permanent blindness by destruction of the optic nerve and 30 mL is potentially fatal,[1] although the usual fatal dose is typically 100–125 mL (4 fl oz). Toxic effects take hours to start and effective antidotes can often prevent permanent damage.[1] Because of its similarities to ethanol (the alcohol in beverages), it is difficult to differentiate between the two (such is the case with denatured alcohol).

[1]Vale A (2007). "Methanol". Medicine 35 (12): 633-4. doi:10.1016/j.mpmed.2007.09.014

There are just as effective just as quick no rinse sanitisers that do not have documented serious health issues associated with them . . . Peracetic for example.

Pop in a carb drop(these are so cheap and convenient I don't know why everyone doesn't use them)

Never heard of them MEB. take it they are little co2 bombs. so you can bottle bright and the carb drop does the business, leaving no sediment?

As for the bottling routine, I do something V similar. rinse and store my bottles pretty much as Meb does. when ready rinse with Videne. leave to drip for a few minutes on the bottling tree and away I go. I did my last 25L batch in not much over an hour... Mind you wife was helping. she capped them I filled them with the little bottler. It was like a factory.

Id love to see the pics MEB.. :thumb:

Aleman said:
MEB said:
I use 70% Meth solution as a contact steriliser in a spray bottle-For those who worry about some 'make believe' health issues(and that is exactly what they are-make believe)
:hmm:
Methanol has a high toxicity in humans. If ingested, as little as 10 mL can cause permanent blindness by destruction of the optic nerve and 30 mL is potentially fatal,[1] although the usual fatal dose is typically 100–125 mL (4 fl oz). Toxic effects take hours to start and effective antidotes can often prevent permanent damage.[1] Because of its similarities to ethanol (the alcohol in beverages), it is difficult to differentiate between the two (such is the case with denatured alcohol).

[1]Vale A (2007). "Methanol". Medicine 35 (12): 633-4. doi:10.1016/j.mpmed.2007.09.014

There are just as effective just as quick no rinse sanitisers that do not have documented serious health issues associated with them . . . Peracetic for example.

and the availibilty and cost of Peracetic is???????
The health issues with using, I'll put this in bold for you so you understand 70% Meth solution is????? There are NO documented health issues with using 70% Meth sloution as a contact steriliser. NONE AT ALL.

Frisp said:
Pop in a carb drop(these are so cheap and convenient I don't know why everyone doesn't use them)

Never heard of them MEB. take it they are little co2 bombs. so you can bottle bright and the carb drop does the business, leaving no sediment?

They are little drops of carb sugar. So all you do is bung one in the bottle. No measuring of sugar, no mess. Simple and quick. I buy 60 in a bag for a few bucks. Heaps easier than measuring out a teaspoon of sugar :thumb:
For me, speed is of the essence. I haven't got the time to spend fanny arsing about putting a teaspoon of sugar into a bottle before I fill it. :cheers:

ano said:
MEB said:
I'll put this in bold for you so you understand
Which side of whose bed did you get out of?

The side that says 'if you want to scaremonger then have some good evidence or **** off'

some days I get out of the other side. But not often.

the minimum lethal dose following ingestion has been reported at 15 mL of a 40% v/v methanol solution
Tephly, T. R. (1991). The toxicity of methanol. Life Sci 48, 1031-41.

Although one of the antidotes for methanol poisoning is ethanol :party:

Duncs said:
the minimum lethal dose following ingestion has been reported at 15 mL of a 40% v/v methanol solution
Tephly, T. R. (1991). The toxicity of methanol. Life Sci 48, 1031-41.

Although one of the antidotes for methanol poisoning is ethanol :party:

Yeah I was gonna say. Its not the methanol that's poisonous but the by-products when it's broken down by the liver.
If ethanol is present, the liver ignores the methanol (which is excreted unchanged) and gets to work on the ethanol.

I'm assuming this chap is talking about methylated spirit or something rather than methanol - methanol is not meths.

Please don't use methanol - can't remember the exact figure but its takes not many ml to kill. It will, however, send you mad, blind, dead in that order. Long term exposure cause the formation of formic acid in the liver as it processes it, and yes ethanol is the only remedy I have heard of as the liver processes the ethanol and lets the methanol pass. Extremely dangerous stuff. This is all from memory so don't quote me on any of this - I have used methanol in other areas.

IANACOAD (I am not a chemist or a doctor)

Who came up with methanol? Use IMS - Industrial Methylated Spirits. It is clear and is a standard contact sterilser used throughout the world.
Or don't. Up to you.

Calm down no ones out to get you!

Your bottling method seems very logical but do you think it may be faster if you sterilised and primed the whole crate of 12 1st then filled and capped as you said?

Denatured alcohol or methylated spirits is ethanol that has additives to make it more poisonous or unpalatable, and thus, undrinkable. In some cases it is also dyed.

Denatured alcohol is used as a solvent and as fuel for spirit burners and camping stoves. Because of the diversity of industrial uses for denatured alcohol, hundreds of additives and denaturing methods have been used. Traditionally, the main additive is 10% methanol, giving rise to the term "methylated spirit." Other typical additives include isopropyl alcohol, acetone, methyl ethyl ketone, methyl isobutyl ketone, and denatonium.
The issue is that the formulation of 'standard' Industrial methylated spirits varies from country to country, and unless your know that it is methanol free you are better off using any one of the many 'safe' no rinse sanitisers

I recognise that quoted section Tony, as I read that only this morning.

If you read further down that Wikipedia article it says:
According to British regulations: Completely denatured alcohol must be made in accordance with the following formulation: with every 90 parts by volume of alcohol mix 9.5 parts by volume of wood naphtha or a substitute for wood naphtha and 0.5 parts by volume of crude pyridine, and to the resulting mixture add mineral naphtha (petroleum oil) in the proportion of 3.75 litres to every 1000 litres of the mixture and synthetic organic dyestuff (methyl violet) in the proportion of 1.5 grams to every 1000 litres of the mixture.
So I thought “ok, well there's no mention of methanol there, but WTF is wood naphtha?”
Click through on that, and it's another name for methanol.

I'll stick with Videne, thanks all the same.

Aleman said:
Denatured alcohol or methylated spirits is ethanol that has additives to make it more poisonous or unpalatable, and thus, undrinkable. In some cases it is also dyed.

Denatured alcohol is used as a solvent and as fuel for spirit burners and camping stoves. Because of the diversity of industrial uses for denatured alcohol, hundreds of additives and denaturing methods have been used. Traditionally, the main additive is 10% methanol, giving rise to the term "methylated spirit." Other typical additives include isopropyl alcohol, acetone, methyl ethyl ketone, methyl isobutyl ketone, and denatonium.
The issue is that the formulation of 'standard' Industrial methylated spirits varies from country to country, and unless your know that it is methanol free you are better off using any one of the many 'safe' no rinse sanitisers

I agree Tony. What I was offering was merely a suggestion. I use it. The Brewmaster at the brewery where I work use's it.

Aren't forums about this? Discussing stuff. :?:

A discussion has 2 sides, this si either your way or no way it seems. Are all your 'discussions' conducted in such a ferocious manner?!

MEB said:
Frisp wrote:
Quote:

They are little drops of carb sugar. So all you do is bung one in the bottle. No measuring of sugar, no mess. Simple and quick. I buy 60 in a bag for a few bucks. Heaps easier than measuring out a teaspoon of sugar

My humble (I am no expert by any means) opinion is that carb drops are an expensive way to buy sugar. They are also inflexible, as clearly you cannot add half a carb drop, or whatever, depending on how you want to prime your brew.

I used to do aseptic lab work and we used 70% ethanol solution for maintaining sterility. The ethanol came from Sigma in 'winchester bottles', with the analytical purity data printed on the side. I agree, you don't want to be risking using stuff that may contain methanol. I guess, if you have access to 'meth solution' you could get 'ethanol' too. I now use a Videne or peracetic acid 0.1%. Lost too many brews tainted by residual chlorine from 'thin bleach' solution.

Latest posts

Back