Help! Stuck fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolfster

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all

I have read this http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/ and as a result have moved the brew to a warmer room, and given it a stir..... Then another stir.
The OG was 1.047 and its at 1.022.
Still nothing.

So now I am thinking about pitching more yeast. My thoughts are along the lines of....
If I pitch more yeast will anything happen as there is no oxygen in the FV as it was all used up when the original yeast was pitched.
Should I make up a starter and pitch the yeast into that, then add it to the FV?

Anyone help me out with their experience.
Cheers
R

Hi , did you use dried yeast and then just dump it on brew , if so you will kill around 50% of yeast thus yes you may need more yeast . Or did you use liquid yeast , was it a full vial or was it a previous starter splitted then used (how old was it), again yes more yeast needed . I wouldn't bother making a starter at this stage but just add part of a vial/splitted vial as you only need a bit by the sound of it . What temp did you mash at and for how long , maybe you mashed too high and it's actually finished . More info required to make a judgement .

It was a kit, mostly.

I just dumped the dried yeast in. :?

Did I mention the kit was a bit out of date....... :doh:

Should have used fresh yeast.

just dump half a packet in as you did last time then gently stir it and avoid splashing then leave it 2 days and retest with hydrometer

Hi
For what it is worth the advice from my lhbs for a stuck fermentation when stirring and warming have failed is to re-pitch with a good quality yeast. However the yeast must be rehydrated and you must get it started before you pitch it. Here's how.
Make up a solution of luke warm water with sugar. Add the new yeast. Wait until it shows signs of active fermentation before pitching ie bubbling. Apparently if you just add it, or rehydrate and add, you will kill almost all of it.
I presume it has something to do with the process of rehydrating the yeast within a liquid containing alchohol. Apparently yeast does not like to be rehydrated with an already alchoholic liquid.
I hope you manage to get it sorted!
Bowl sprayer

In the same situation at the moment. I don't normally do kits but as I've run out of beer I thought I'd do a woodfordes nog. It got to 1020 and stopped. Been in the fv for 10 days and no further activity. So, yesterday I gave it a stir and added a new packet of yeast (after rehydrating it) and hey presto a bubbling airlock this morning! :thumb:

Hi guys

Thanks for the advice.
I did what was recommended with the yeast. Put it down next to the FV, and before i touched it it went 'blip'.
Seems to have unstuck its self!

I put the yeast in anyway!

R

Bowl sprayer said:
Make up a solution of luke warm water with sugar. Add the new yeast. Wait until it shows signs of active fermentation before pitching ie bubbling. Apparently if you just add it, or rehydrate and add, you will kill almost all of it.
Noooo! Don't use sugar! Rehydrate dried yeast in 100ml of boiled and cooled water at the recommended temp from the manufacturer, usually about 30degC for 15-30mins. Bunging it in dry will cause 50% to die upon hitting the brew but rehydrate and you'll be OK.

Starter for liquid yeast (using DME), rehydrate only for dried yeast.

So I did re-pitch some yeast, and it seems to have done something.

Its now stuck at 1.018.....

Feeling like I should pour it down the drain, it doesn't taste too good anyway....

Anyone got any ideas.

I am going to guess the right thing to do is wait.

Cheers
R

Latest posts

Back