Is this normal?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrights1983

Reaction score
Hello. newbie homebrew scrumpy maker here.

Just discovered my cider with this weird stuff at the top

Is this normal?

What is it?

m72f.jpg

I've not made scrumpy before but that looks like fruit pulp on the top. I sometimes get the same when brewing an elderberry wine. I just rack it off into a clean demi and leave the pulp behind.

Entirely normal with some brews, don't worry, just when it comes to racking off, try to avoid syphoning it. Leave it alone for now, it'll be fine... :D

The more i look at it the more it looks like left over yeast. I used a whole packet of yeast & only 8 ounces of sugar.

The juice was off the supermarket shelf so surely that wouldn't create fruit pulp?

The juice was off the supermarket shelf so surely that wouldn't create fruit pulp?

It looks exactly like the pictures of tomato wine i have seen in the forum, i see this a lot when i make orange or mango based wines.

I have 2 DJ's of apple/mango on the go and they have been fermenting a few days (they are actually bright orange in colour not dull as in the picture)

The left is apple/mango + rose grape juice

The right is apple/mango + WGJ.

20131017_193543.jpg

Whoops.....sorry, I thought you were using fresh apples with you saying you were making scrumpy.

Some of the stuff I've brewed is even more spectacular than that. My kid calls it The Living Sponge Of Death. Usually it sinks just before it's time to rack the brew, so it's not hard to get rid of.

Some carton 'juice', such as mango, are pulpy, and can cause this effect, while others, like grape, are clear and usually don't. Mixing different types of juice can also have strange effects.

Latest posts

Back