Check my grain bill...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolfster

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi

I am aiming for something a bit like old peculiar..... But I wasn't sure what to buy when I went the brew shop on a whim on the way home for work.... :doh:

I got 5kg of maris otter
1kg of amber malt
500g of wheat malt
500g of crystal
500g of chocolate malt

I am aiming for 30L and was thinking i could add all the MO, Amber and wheat malt, 250g of crystal and 100g of chocolate, and mash over night then lightly hop.

I was also thinking that I need to go shopping and get some more grain (this recipe seems to come out around 4% for the amount I want and I was hoping for 5.5%)

Any ideas on improving my recipe would be greatly received :whistle:

Cheers
R

Personally I would not use that much chocolate or amber, but that is only my view. If you want to make it stronger why not cut back to 25lt.

I know what you mean about the chocolate but will 100g be too much?
I have not used amber before, so not sure what its like!

So I am thinking 6kg of MO, 500g of wheat malt, 300g of crystal, 200g of amber, and 100g of chocolate.
I don't like that burnt coffee kinda taste so if thats what its going to taste like help me! :pray:
I guess thats why you put your limit at 100g of amber and chocolate Dennis?

R

What EBC is your Amber malt, if it's the roasty one from Fawcetts then I would be happy using more but not if its one of the 50EBC ones.

Rob

You need to get yourself a copy of Graham Wheelers Brew your own British Real Ale, it has that in it. The book is a great resource and you can use recipes as a base for your own interpretations and for about a tenner you won't regret buying it.

But you would be closer to the mark with

6KG PAle
300g Crystal
200g Choc

Whaet and Amber are not in the original so I skip the amber but as an advocate of wheat malt I would use about 300g

That would give you 23L. :thumb:

I was thinking about the wheat malt, which I have added to give head and body. Will 500g dominate the flavour? I will be honest, I was going to just add all I have to help bulk it out!

I am planning an overnight mash. Will there be any problems with the wheat malt mashing for so long?
R

Latest posts

Back