Getting my friend set up..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calluma11

Reaction score
Hey folks,

My friend approached me saying he wanted to get into brewing lager.

He wants me to get him set up with all the equipment but has a budget of £50 (inc first Kit and fermentables). I think to buy individually will be the cheapest course of action.

I'm confident my knowledge of homebrewing is now such that I can get him everything he needs to set up:

FV w/ drilled hole lid & grommet
Air lock
Long Spoon
Syphon
Funnel
Stick on thermometer
Hydrometer & testing jar
PET Bottles
Steriliser
Yeast
Lager Kit
Dextrose or similar

My list is at home so I may have forgotten something. I dont want to over complicate things, as I can lend him more 'advanced' equipment to keep costs down.

I haven't done a like for like comparison yet, but do you think it's better to buy online (any recommended websites?) or pop in to wilkos itself. Could even do a bit of both

Thanks as always :)
Callum

Whoops! Forgot he wants lager. Try getting him to drink ale instead! A well carbonated well chilled pale ale keeps the lager drinkers happy chez HM!

Don't forget the means to keep that lager within proper temperature range. Unless these are pseudo lager kits...

Apologies, I'm sure i had replied last night..
I'm going to suggest, if he really cant find a cool place) that he uses an Ale yeast. I know it's not going to be the same but for the sake of his first kit i'm sure it'll be fine (we all make mistakes on the first anyways). Dont forget his budget is the biggest limiting factor here

£5 over budget but the kit is 'premium' (3kg of LME - brewed it myself and it's good!), the capper is the dogs doo dahs and the PET bottles are brown and not clear (still using all of mine one year on!).

http://http://www.home-brew-online.com/starter-kits-c47/st-peters-micro-brewery-with-bottles-ruby-red-ale-p1666

Everything else he needs too. The little bottler is a godsend!

Whoops! Forgot he wants lager. Try getting him to drink ale instead! A well carbonated well chilled pale ale keeps the lager drinkers happy chez HM!

That looks really good! Everything's there (wish i'd have known about it a year ago!)

I'm sure he'll drink anything that's given to him, but he'd just prefer lager to 40 pints of Ale.. that being said, I could always swap him one of my lager kits and make the Ale myself ;)

Thanks for that, will bear in mind :)

Why not make a cream ale? It uses ~1/2 lager ingredients but ale yeast (clean neutral flavor). Or a kolsch, which from what I understand is similar also.

If you cannot find a kit there, but can get ingredients I can help you with a recipe if you'd like. You can even try making a British version using Maris Otter in place of American 2-row, along with British hops.

That looks very good, I'll deffo check it out next time I'm in wilkos (I always spend too much in the homebrew section ...)

Latest posts

Back