Rice raisin wine - what is the purpose of the rice?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrD

Reaction score
Rice raisin recipes include ample quantities of sugar, raisins, fruit etc to provide fermentables which makes me wonder what the purpose of the rice is? I assume there aren't sufficient amylases present in packaged white rice to contribute anything fermentable so is it for texture? Flavour?

My dad used to make it, but I was too young to sample it.

Any thoughts?

In 'The Bible' (First Steps in Winemaking) CJJ Berry says to add grains for body and in his Rice and Raisin recipe he says to keep the pulp to ferment a lighter wine from, I don't know if that's the one you are using.

Hello,

You out might be able to help me out here. In the rice and raisin wine, are you meant to boil the rice before using?

I'm hopeful that you don't have to, because I haven't.

Thanks

Meryl

CJJ Berry's recipe says to dissolve the sugar in some of the hot water, leave to cool and then pour over the rice, so no need to boil the rice Meryl.

Cooking the rice would release a lot of starch, which would make the wine difficult to clear.
Although CJJ Berry doesn't include it in his recipe for Rice & Raisin wine, he does mention that for a starch haze the addition of amylase will help it clear.

Back