barley cup?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloth

Reaction score
Has anyone used barley cup in a brew? Coopers stout maybe. Would it could it work, or is it just a silly idea in the first place?!
Details on the jar are...

Ingredients:
Soluble solids of roasted-
barley (46%), rye, chicory

Per 100g:
Protein 3.7g
Carb 74g (sugars 32g)
Fat 0.1g
Fibre 16g
Sodium 0.1g

Never even heard of it but I reckon it would work. Just like like putting coffee or cocoa as a flavour adjunct. No fat in it to worry about . Just put some in the FV with everything else.

If I was gonna have a crack at doing it I start by only putting a small amount in. Something like 100g and see what it tasted like then if it was Ok put a bigger amount in the next brew.

If the 100g wasn't enough you could may be boil some for 15 mins to sterilize then take 500ml of beer before you bottle/keg add a few drops to taste then scale up for the rest of your brew length. This is usually a technique for adding tincture/flavour extracts which use alcohol and I'm not sure whether it would work for a boiled solution although my gut instinct says it would.

Anyway, I'd definately use a stout to add it to as it seem to be some sort of coffee substitute. What does it taste like roasty? coffee?

Yes it's a kind of 'healthy' non caffeinated coffee substitute. Quite a bitter roasted flavour, one teaspoon in a mug of hot water jobby - personally I'd rather just drink coffee!

Latest posts

Back