Old Speckled Hen Clone - Graham Wheeler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eezybrewer

Beer Brewers Party Member
Reaction score
Has anyone brewed the Old Speckled Hen Clone from the book Brew Your Own British Real Ale by Graham Wheeler. I am thinking of giving this a go and was wondering what would be the best yeast to use.

Cheers for that clibit. For some reason in that book Graham talks about yeast but when it comes to the recipes there is no yeast suggested.

I know, it's a big weakness of those books because yeast choice is crucial. Brewuk sell their OSH recipe pack with a choice of WLP002 yeast or US05. These two yeasts are completely different and will make two very different beers. WLP002 is a fruity, estery yeast, especially above 20C, US05 is very neutral.

I actually based my first extract brew (which is conditioning) was based on a clone recipe of OSH.. Wasn't quite the same I had to swap out the yeast as I couldn't get the other one so I went for US-05.. I wasn't as such wanting it to match OSH as such I just picked something as a basis to work too for an extract, I did realise it was going to produce different finish.. But I haven't tried it yet.

Completely agree with clibit here, not stating which yeasts you could use is definately a weakness of the book
I'm a huge fan of BYOBRA but if your new to AG/Extract brewing like I was when I bought it your not really going to know which are the most most appropriate yeasts to use

Clibit has given you some suggestions for appropriate liquid yeasts, If you want to go down the dried yeast route, S04 will be fine for any of the receipes in the book as its a fruity English Ale stain.

Basically any fruity, estery English Ale yeast strain, liquid or dried will be good for the receipes in the book

Recently I have started to culture up strains from commercial bottle conditioned beers to put in receipes from the book. I have a brakspear strain which is very much like white labs WLP023 and am in the process of culturing up a Fullers strain.

Another tip: Some of the receipes use white sugar. I did the courage directors receipe and it came out way too dry (didn't help that I used nottingham yeast, not the most appropriate strain), so unless your doing one of the really big beer like Old Tom replace the sugar with more grain/DME/LME

Have done this a couple of times and used s04 and Wyeast 1028 (as I had it after a big barleywine). Must admit the 1028 came out pretty good.

I think the whole reason Wheeler doesn't suggest yeasts is that he suggests that people discover and use the yeast that's best for them as a 'home' yeast. His clones are pretty damn good though!

Latest posts

Back