Elderberry Port recipe - any good?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will-o-the-wisp

Reaction score
I have some frozen elderberries, blackberries and blueberries. How does this recipe look for making a very heavy bodied rich port wine that will be fortified with brandy to bring it up to 18-21%. Will the amount of fruit work for 1 gallon or is it totally overkill? I will only be using the pressed juice from the fruit and not the skins. I will mix the skins with few gallons of pressed apple juice to make fruity cider :drink:

Really need some feedback and suggestions;

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For one gallon

Pressed Juice only (no pulp);
2.5kg elderberries
2.5kg Blackberries
1.5kg Blueberries

500g currants (dried zante grapes) or white raisins

250g extra light dry malt extract
250g Red Grape Concentrate
30g Youngs French Oak

Sugar (brown/dark) - (unknown amount yet)

1 tspn acid (mix - tartanic, malic & citric)
1 tspn pectolase
1/2 tspn yeast energiser
1 tspn yeast nutrients
Port yeast

When fermentation complete;
French oak cubes - (unknown amount yet)
250ml Red Grape Concentrate
Quality Brandy - (unknown amount yet)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok well, mainly for my notes, in the end I froze, defrosted, mashed and then pressed;

3kg elderberries
2.5kg Blackberries
1.5kg Blueberries

Got about 3.50 - 3.75 litres of very rich juice. Slightly sweet with some obvious tannins in there, from the elderberry, so will not be adding any more tannin. The SG is 1.046.

I used an apple press to extract the juice and it was not the most efficient as the pulp was still very wet and soggy, not like the apples I pressed, but I kept all the fruit pulp and I am going to reuse it - I don't like waste.

IMG_1320.JPG

IMG_1319.JPG

5_litre_alu_press_parts_2.jpg

Latest posts

Back