Need advice on rehydrating dry yeast please...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alchemist1

Reaction score
For how long should the airlock bubble away before calming down? This is the first time I rehydrated dry yeast and I am a bit concerned as it stopped bubbling after just under 2 days after some heavy bubbling... Its an extract/mini mash wheat beer, used 10g Mangrove Jacks Craft series Bavarian Wheat yeast. Sitting at around 22-24°C...

"Rehydrating"? That's what you may do to dried yeast before you add it to your beer.

Fermenting out in 2 days at that temperature is quite feasible; my record was to ferment out to 7%ABV in just short of two days! A hydrometer (or refractometer if you're flashy) is your friend here; it would tell you if fermentation is finished (reading about 1.004-1.012 and not moving for a day or so); you'll still leave it a bit longer before finishing (e.g. two weeks if bottling).

For how long should the airlock bubble away before calming down? This is the first time I rehydrated dry yeast and I am a bit concerned as it stopped bubbling after just under 2 days after some heavy bubbling... Its an extract/mini mash wheat beer, used 10g Mangrove Jacks Craft series Bavarian Wheat yeast. Sitting at around 22-24°C...
If your airlock has stopped bubbling two days into a brew chances are the lid is not sealing properly onto the FV, and CO2 is bypassing the airlock. If you push it down and it still doesn't seal properly then there is no harm done, just leave it in the FV for two weeks or so as peebee has said and use your hydrometer. If you really want to see your airlock bubbling, then you could put cling film over the FV top edges and close the lid onto that. That's what I do, and this solves the problem

Thanks guys! Surely eases my mind... Lid definately seals. I can still see the pressure in the airlock but no more bubbling and if I touch the vessel even lightly it bubbles out...

Latest posts

Back