Coopers pale ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to hear it's a good brew! This one is on my list of to do brews, but I might tweak it a bit. It looks quite dark for a pale ale, or is that possibly just the picture?

Well just to let know it was the dark lighting. I just bought another coopers kit to fill my just in love with the taste

I presume that's the Thomas Cooper Pale Ale. Did you know they are doing away with it? In fact that whole range is changing.
I've got two TC Pale Ales sat here waiting to brew. I got them for myself for Christmas when I realised they would be gone soon.

What did you brew it with? I'm tempted to just use a kilo of light dry malt extract. But I really want to get the best out of it as they'll soon be extinct.
The two I have are use by Aug 2017. I tempted to go back and get a couple more. Should I?

I presume that's the Thomas Cooper Pale Ale. Did you know they are doing away with it? In fact that whole range is changing.
Pirate_Pete
The Thomas Cooper range does look to have been completely changed but the Original and International are more or less the same.
Have you tried any of the new range yet?
I'm thinking particularly of the Thomas Coopers Brew A IPA and the Bootmaker Pale Ale both of which are supposed to be American style pale ales or so Coopers tell us. I would guess it will be some time before we get them over here in the UK.

What did you brew it with? I'm tempted to just use a kilo of light dry malt extract. But I really want to get the best out of it as they'll soon be extinct.
The two I have are use by Aug 2017. I tempted to go back and get a couple more. Should I?
I have done the TC IPA kit twice. As far as you getting the best out of it the dried malt should be fine and, apart from a minimash as well, I would suggest you try a dry hop. Perhaps Styrian Goldings, or EK Goldings or First Gold or the like. When I dry hopped with 25g Goldings on one of the two I did, it seemed to get lost somewhere and so you may need more to get the benefit.
And as far as you buying more of these I thought the John Bull IPA was better but I'm not sure you can get those in Oz.

Pirate_Pete
The Thomas Cooper range does look to have been completely changed but the Original and International are more or less the same.
Have you tried any of the new range yet?
I'm thinking particularly of the Thomas Coopers Brew A IPA and the Bootmaker Pale Ale both of which are supposed to be American style pale ales or so Coopers tell us. I would guess it will be some time before we get them over here in the UK.

That's right mate it's just the TC range that's gone. No John Bull here. Coopers / Muntons / Morgans seem to be most popular.

I haven't made any of the new range yet. I haven't seen any in the shops near me. That said I live in an area a couple of hours north of Sydney and there's not much choice. Probably take a while to get here.

It's not so much that coopers have changed their brews, it's the stories how Thomas Cooper made this and that in 1800 whatever, with an American style that annoy me. Now I've been told by the bloke in the local store that the IPA is not a good seller. But it looks to me like Coopers are just jumping on a bandwagon with the "American Style". A 21st century wagon, not an 1800 one that is. Having grown up in the UK I'm after an English style IPA.

Coopers did send out some freebies to those who got in first on their forum. The reviews seem to be OK.

I do have a TC stout ready to go in the FV for tomorrow. The new Coopers stout isn't out yet. But they reckon it's like Kilkenny. The bloke from Coopers who posts on their forum says if you want to try and match the head you get from a can, pour the stout into a glass. Use a 30 ml syringe to suck up some beer. Then squirt it back in. I'm going to try that.

That's right mate it's just the TC range that's gone. No John Bull here. Coopers / Muntons / Morgans seem to be most popular.

I haven't made any of the new range yet. I haven't seen any in the shops near me. That said I live in an area a couple of hours north of Sydney and there's not much choice. Probably take a while to get here.

It's not so much that coopers have changed their brews, it's the stories how Thomas Cooper made this and that in 1800 whatever, with an American style that annoy me. Now I've been told by the bloke in the local store that the IPA is not a good seller. But it looks to me like Coopers are just jumping on a bandwagon with the "American Style". A 21st century wagon, not an 1800 one that is. Having grown up in the UK I'm after an English style IPA.

Coopers did send out some freebies to those who got in first on their forum. The reviews seem to be OK.

I do have a TC stout ready to go in the FV for tomorrow. The new Coopers stout isn't out yet. But they reckon it's like Kilkenny. The bloke from Coopers who posts on their forum says if you want to try and match the head you get from a can, pour the stout into a glass. Use a 30 ml syringe to suck up some beer. Then squirt it back in. I'm going to try that.
You are most probably right about how and why they are changing their range.
As far as the stout is concerned I have done two of the Original which reminded me of Murphys, but it's some time since I had some in a pub in Ireland so I might be wrong on that. They both could be drunk young and initially had a fruitiness which mellowed out. I have yet to try the TC Irish Stout to compare. I put mine into a PB and that definitely gave me a thick creamy head just like the pub draught version. I used 500g Dark DME, 500g golden syrup, 100g dark muscovado sugar, and three shots of strong coffee and brewed short to 19 litres and it was a success so won't be changing that recipe for the next one I do.

Back