Single hop cascade

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayjt29

Reaction score
Just wondering on peoples thoughts, a lot of my brewing is done following recipes or at least using them as a guide.

Just seen that I have 100g of cascade leaf hops that somehow got forgotten about!

Just been on Brewsmith and knocked up a singe hop recipe, it calls for 5kg maris otter, 400 torrified wheat and 50g of chocolate malt.
The hop schedule will be; 40g of cascade @ 60 (60 min boil) 25g @15 25g @5 min and 10g at flame out.

This gives an estimated abv of 5.5% IBU of 36.7 and an EBC of 16.6

The only yeast I have spare is a safale 04, was thinking apart from the yeast it should be like an american pale ale type beer.

Might even do it tomorrow or Sunday as my last brew has reached its FG in 8 days so the fermentation fridge will be free until 21st April (few friends coming over to brew a beer and need it free for then)

Thoughts on the recipe? I'm sure with the Safale 04, it should finish by the 21st ifI get it in by Sunday :)
Cheers
Jay

My scaled up galaxy hopped vienna "pale" ale.

Has the hop additions as
10g at 60mins
30g at 10 mins
30g at 5 mins
And 30g at flame out for a 10 min hopstand/whirlpool.

You'll need to check the alpha acids, I've enjoyed this as quite a hop forward brew.

This is just my taste preference but I'd leave out the choc malt. Cascade will be lovely against a dead simple Mo grain bill. I'd also only do one late addition plus flame out. But that's just tinkering round the edges, there's nothing drastically wrong.

And yes 04 is an English ale yeast, but so what?! It'll be good beer.

Forgot to say I used s-04 in my small batch I mentioned above.

I have reclaimed us-05 for the full batch (and a pack in reserve just in case).

Biggest problem I have with this beer is trying not to drink it all. (Just 4 bottles left...)

Mash 5 minutes to go, changed the hop schedule to 40 @60 30@15 and 30@0, also ditched the chocolate malt, only added it originally for a darker colour.

Cheers
Jay :)

Latest posts

Back