Stuck fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rossco10386

Reaction score
Hi guys. I am a complete novice to home brew amd simply following instructions on a cellar 7 30 bottle cabernet sauvignon kit. I bought a 25 litre bucket with no airlock hole and began brewing. All was going fine until a few days ago when I took the lid off to drill a hole for an airlock. Since then the foam has disappeared an there is no bubbles through the airlock. The bucket is definitely air tight as the lid is bulging. I have added sugar syrup and some premium yeast and placed in my hot garden shed but nothing appears to restart fermentation. Does anyone have any tips? The kit only fermented for 4 days before it stopped fermenting. Any help would greatly appreciated. Thanks

We see this discussed regularly in the forum, if it is bulging it is fermenting and CO2 is being produced, you will probably find it is escaping through the gap between lid and FV before it gets chance to go through the airlock, the only way to know for sure is to buy a hydrometer and take readings over a few days.

Thanks for that. I have taken a hydrometer reading and it's 990. I have always assumed that not having bubbles in the airlock is a sure sign that fermentation has stopped but after reading various threads I will be gauging it by hydrometer readings from now on. Many thanks

Thanks for that. I have taken a hydrometer reading and it's 990. I have always assumed that not having bubbles in the airlock is a sure sign that fermentation has stopped but after reading various threads I will be gauging it by hydrometer readings from now on. Many thanks

Kit instructions are only really a guide, the temperature you ferment at has a big say in how soon stuff is finished, hydrometer is the surest way to tell as many FV leak a little air out.

Latest posts

Back