Grain and Hop Bill

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam0909

Reaction score
Might be a daft question....

But if you have a recipe for a brew of 20 liters. If you want to make 10 liters do you just half the amount of grain and hops.

Its more the hops i was doubting myself about.

Thanks in advance

As above , Yes ;) might also be worth checking out recipe software, Beersmith is comprehensive and folk who have invested the time to learn the system lurve it.
i use brewmate http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Miscellaneous/BrewMate.shtml for quick on the fly recipe mods and confirmation ;)
it lets you plug in the ingredient masses, target volumes, and bhe and get an instant report on expected OG, FG, and abv as well as colour and bitterness as the result of the hop bill,

so if you wonder what impact a 5% wheat substitution may on a brew, plug it in and get an idea ;)

+1 for beersmith.

I would still be doing kits without the confidence in recipe and exact volumes etc that beersmith gives.

I use brewmate, find it works well... I am sure Beersmith is probably a little bit more sohpsticated but brew mate is sufficient for me

Brewers friend is an updated version of it but always seemed broken, is it fixed now?

cheers guys. At the moment just done my first BIAB using a recipe from a book (brewfist caterpillar rye ipa) and spreadsheet from the Australian site BIAB brewer. Its a good spreadsheet you put your recipe in and it scales everything and calculates water volume etc for BIAB. I'll do a write up about it. But it was Maris otter, Rye, Caramalt, Cystal 10 and wheat. Hops are motuka and Columbus.

Latest posts

Back