Kettle soured Berliner weisse

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a good 15 minute boil, I chilled airated and pitched the yeast. Going to ferment at 20c. Hope the fermentation goes well because the wort really did taste good:thumb:
I ended up with 18l and og of 1037 so this will end up at about 4%, at little high wich is my fault as the fv was on a wonky chair when I topped up with water:oops:

IMG_2248[751].JPG

IMG_2249[753].JPG

IMG_2250[755].JPG

IMG_2251[757].JPG

Looking good :thumb:
I remember mine didn't taste or smell particularly good before fermentation, kinda reminded me (unsurprisingly I suppose) of sour milk, but after fermentation it was really nice, fresh and lemony with a soft wheaty finish. It went down very well at our club meet.

This looks amazing, great effort to take on such a complex process :thumb:

Just got home from my birthday north sea surf trip to find gravity reading of 1005. Ill test it again tomorrow to check its stable and ideally get it cold crashing as ive a patersbier brew going into a chill cube tomorrow so would like the brew fridge back in the next few days.
Ive had a taste from the sample jar and its a nice clean tart flavour. I hope when its carbed up it will come across a little more sour as it didn't quite hit it for me(wonder how accurate my ph thingy is?)

OK grain to glass time..
The beer ended up at 3.8abv
Nice head to start that soon went. Body and mouth feel nice.
Flavour and sourness, well this is where it goes a little down hill. Hard for me to describe but its sour,not as sour as I like but ok.
The real main problem is diacetyl or dms(I think), theres a cooked corn smell and taste going on and slight cider flavour.
Now that sounds a bit gross but to be fair its not that bad and I'm enjoying it as a refreshing session beer.
Its been both a bit of a disappointment and a success. Next time I brew i'm going in for more of a bolt and braces approach. I'll boil the wort for 70 mins to get get rid of any off flavours and then do the souring.
I love sour beers and buy quite a few, i'd put my version second to last of all that ive tried, so considering ive used grain as my lacto sauce and don't really know what I'm doing ill take it and look forward to be brewing "sour lizzy #2"

OK grain to glass time..
The beer ended up at 3.8abv
Nice head to start that soon went. Body and mouth feel nice.
Flavour and sourness, well this is where it goes a little down hill. Hard for me to describe but its sour,not as sour as I like but ok.
The real main problem is diacetyl or dms(I think), theres a cooked corn smell and taste going on and slight cider flavour.
Now that sounds a bit gross but to be fair its not that bad and I'm enjoying it as a refreshing session beer.
Its been both a bit of a disappointment and a success. Next time I brew i'm going in for more of a bolt and braces approach. I'll boil the wort for 70 mins to get get rid of any off flavours and then do the souring.
I love sour beers and buy quite a few, i'd put my version second to last of all that ive tried, so considering ive used grain as my lacto sauce and don't really know what I'm doing ill take it and look forward to be brewing "sour lizzy #2"

Sounds like DMS left behind from the short boil. I had one like that and, like you say, it isn't unpleasant but not expected. Hopefully the beer will round out a bit more with time. Thanks for posting this thread though, it is really interesting.

Back