Brixton Porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chub1

Reaction score
Just put on a 'tampered with' DIY dog Brixton Porter patial mash 5 litre brew.
On the boil now, smells great:mrgreen:
5 litre batch,4 litre mash 3.75 litre dunk sparge. 75 minute mash at 67c.
400grm pale malt
6 grm crystal
50 grm roast barley
3 grm black malt
65 grm oats
20 grm brown malt
454 grm liquid malt ( H and B) start of boil
3 grm challenger pellets 60 min
3 grm bramling X "" 60 mins
3 grm challenger "" 30 mins
1/2 pack gervin yeast re hydrated
expected OG 1.048
expected FG 1.011
ABV expected 5.01% IBU 36.68
Came out at 1.046 so pretty pleased as i actually added a touch too much cold water to the FV,making 5.50 litres and not 5 litres.

I love a porter! Do you really get a blackcurrant flavour from the brambling x?

Cheers

Clint
A good question.
My taste buds are not brilliant and i do find it hard to state that any particular hop actually tastes of what is stated. All i can really say is that my mates found an all Bramling X brew to be a little earthy but with some fruityness, and it went down well enough. I found it quite pleasant. Blackcurrant,mmm!

A good question.
My taste buds are not brilliant and i do find it hard to state that any particular hop actually tastes of what is stated. All i can really say is that my mates found an all Bramling X brew to be a little earthy but with some fruityness, and it went down well enough. I found it quite pleasant. Blackcurrant,mmm!

I would say that's how blackcurrents taste (to me anyway)

I would say that's how blackcurrents taste (to me anyway)
:thumb:.
I really wish i could pin down flavours more. It's a bit akin to if someone says a wine has this overtone and that undertone,i am totally banjaxed:lol:.
I did an all Chinook brew,tasted really great,however i couldn't say oh yes that is piney!!!

:thumb:.
I really wish i could pin down flavours more. It's a bit akin to if someone says a wine has this overtone and that undertone,i am totally banjaxed:lol:.
I did an all Chinook brew,tasted really great,however i couldn't say oh yes that is piney!!!

I'm not very good a picking out flavours either. The one that gets me is hops descirbed as 'spicy' My idea of spicy and what these hops taste like is completely different

I'm not very good a picking out flavours either. The one that gets me is hops descirbed as 'spicy' My idea of spicy and what these hops taste like is completely different

Imagine me trying to describe at taste or aroma!! Hahaha!!
Even our lass beats me at quiz show questions!
"What does the HQ stand for?"
I was still in it when she best me...
So now I just aroma- medium bittereness high etc...
But piney, spicey I've wrote it down:doh:
Bri

Last summer I made a single hop bramling cross pale and couldn't pick out any fruit flavours, someone who had no idea what was in it and was not a beer drinker had one taste and said blackcurrant.

Last summer I made a single hop bramling cross pale and couldn't pick out any fruit flavours, someone who had no idea what was in it and was not a beer drinker had one taste and said blackcurrant.

Another brew on the long, long list of ones to do.

Latest posts

Back