Split Wort Saison And Lager Advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shepp

Regular.
Reaction score
I wondered if anybody could make any suggestions for recipes to make a 23 litre split wort brew one half with saison yeast and the another using a lager yeast and conditioning?

I'd suggest a simple malt bill, say 95% Vienna lager malt and 5% Munich.

I'd mash @ 68Ëšc for 1 hour. The Saison yeast will attenuate very well, so don't mash too low or you risk both having a very light, watery body.

For the hops, I'd suggest Willamette. Fairly easy to get hold of. A small bittering addition for 60 min, and maybe a conservative aroma addition at flameout. No more than 25 IBUs total.

Split the cooled wort after the boil.

Yeast: For the Saison, I've recently used Wyeast 3711 French Saison and was really happy. Not as fussy as its Belgian counterpart.

For the lager, I'd go with Wyeast Czech Pils 2278. Alternatively, Saflager S23 dried yeast (1 x sachet should be enough if you're splitting the batch).

I'd suggest a simple malt bill, say 95% Vienna lager malt and 5% Munich.

I'd mash @ 68Ëšc for 1 hour. The Saison yeast will attenuate very well, so don't mash too low or you risk both having a very light, watery body.

For the hops, I'd suggest Willamette. Fairly easy to get hold of. A small bittering addition for 60 min, and maybe a conservative aroma addition at flameout. No more than 25 IBUs total.

Split the cooled wort after the boil.

Yeast: For the Saison, I've recently used Wyeast 3711 French Saison and was really happy. Not as fussy as its Belgian counterpart.

For the lager, I'd go with Wyeast Czech Pils 2278. Alternatively, Saflager S23 dried yeast (1 x sachet should be enough if you're splitting the batch).

That sounds great, many thanks.
What do you think adding say 5% wheat taking away 5% of the lager malt would do to the beer, sure it would be fine with the saison but how about the pils?

For these styles, probably not. There's no harm in a little (1-2%) for head retention purposes but at around 5% I'd be concerned about the effect on mouth-feel. The Saison, in particular, should be reasonably dry, crisp and the kind of body that's thirst quenching on a hot summer's day. IMO you may end up with a silky, creamy/velvety mouth feel with that much (more so with torrified/flaked wheat).

I did something like this with a kolsch/Saison split. The problem is hopping, as I feel Saisons should have a around 30+ IBUs bitterness as opposed to around 15 for a lager, and Saison should also have more hop character than the clean malt focused lager. I ended up basing the recipe around the Kolsch and added raspberries and a little dry hopping to the Saison to make it more interesting.

As said, keep the grist simple. It isn't a no go, just that one or both beers will be compromised. I still ended up with nice, drinkable beers, just the Saison wasn't the best I can make.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I did something like this with a kolsch/Saison split. The problem is hopping, as I feel Saisons should have a around 30+ IBUs bitterness as opposed to around 15 for a lager, and Saison should also have more hop character than the clean malt focused lager. I ended up basing the recipe around the Kolsch and added raspberries and a little dry hopping to the Saison to make it more interesting.

As said, keep the grist simple. It isn't a no go, just that one or both beers will be compromised. I still ended up with nice, drinkable beers, just the Saison wasn't the best I can make.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

That's a thought, I don't think I've ever drunk a kolsch?
I must admit I've not been a big lager drinker in recent years but I did a bit of a tour of the Czech Republic some years ago and did a brewery tours of Pilsner Urquel and Budvar breweries. Drank some lovely stuff including some smaller batches brewed by Pilsner Urquel in the original caves. That was outstanding straight from the barrel.
I think I could get a taste for Central European beers again.

Back