Yeast activation mistake

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnmorril

Reaction score
Hi there

I bought some liquid yeast about 4 weeks ago and forgot to put it in the fridge. I've just taken it out of a dark cupboard and found the pack has activated itself. It's fully expanded.

Will it be any good to use? I couldn't say how long it's been like that!

I think it will be ok. I seem to remember reading a post similar to yours asking whether a smack pack will be ok having swollen up before the poster was ready to use it (I cant remeber whether it was here or elsewhere) but the response was that others had had the same thing and it turned out fine.
I'd definately make a starter though as it hasnt been in the fridge for 4 weeks. You might even want to do two step ups if you want to go belt and braces

It'll be fine, but if it was me, I'd make a starter instead of direct pitching when you do come to use it.

From Wyeast site.

8. I popped the inner nutrient pouch and the package swelled tight but I can’t use it right away. What do I do?
If you have activated a package but can’t use it right away, simply allow the package to swell and then refrigerate the package. The yeast will survive for extended periods if refrigerated. Before using, take the package out of the refrigerator and allow it to come up to room temperature before using. It is best to use the yeast as soon as possible.

thanks guys. i didnt have time to make a starter yesterday so will have to pitch directly. biggest worry for me was that it sat there for weeks without going into the fridge. put it in the fridge last night and will let it come up to room temp today.

im not going to do a full 5 gallon batch so am thinking of overcompensating with ohw much of the pouch i putch - is there a downside to overcompensating with the yeast like this?

thanks, john

In second thoughts I'm going to postpone and just reorder some new yeast. Waste of money but don't want to go through the process and it not work!

Latest posts

Back