How long can i keep my yeast starter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crystal_Ball

Reaction score
I haven't brewed for a good couple of months on the Braumeister so was looking forward to my early start and brew day. I made my starter in my Erlenmeyer Conical Glass Flask as the liquid yeast has been in the fridge for quite a while. Went to get started this morning and the pump was silent. Had a look inside and the impeller and "O" ring were missing. So I have put these in a "safe" place to dry after my last brew and I cant remember where that is!! :doh:

So how long can I keep my starter for and what are the best conditions in terms of temp during this time?

This will be until I pull the garage apart to find it or buy a replacement. The decision is what else to stick on the shopping list at the same time to justify the postage!

You can keep your starter in the fridge for 2-3 then you'll need to add some more wort to 'refresh' it and grow a few more cells

Currently I have it at 20c in the brew fridge and it has been in there for 24 hours. Shall I lower the temp until brew day and then increase temp on the brew day and add to the wort?

I keep over built cells from a starter in the fridge for a few months then rebuild them again. Personally I'd put it in a cold fridge until your ready to use them. Depending how long it is you may or may not need another starter.

I had a similar issue 3 weeks ago, I got my starter going then the night be fore brewing (me stupid) I went to assembly my new Mill and found that half the screws were knackered and all my grain in whole. So the starter is still in the fridge and will just get a brief wake up the night before brew day.

Latest posts

Back